I heard the pierce before I felt it. A vicious sting and aching throb exploded in my side.

I laid at the foot of the slope, struggling to catch my breath. Every intake hurt and exhaled as a grunt.

"Son of a bitch! Ah!" I tried to sit up but ended up laying back again.

The pain in my side flared so intense it drowned out everything else but the throb in my head.

I grit my teeth and tried to look down again, turning despite how much it hurt to get a look at my side where the 4 inch tip of a bolt stuck outta my side.

-

I laid there for longer than I should have before I could turn myself over and crawl through the water.

It's easier to move in the 5 foot(at least) deep water but submerging my side hurt more than getting out.

I held my side as I got to the shore, the water went from 3 feet to no feet real quick and I stumbled out of the water, almost face planting into the dirt on the bank.

Every small move pulled at the bolt, or made it move and once I was knelt at the edge of the water, I took my knife, cut the sleeves off my shirt and tied the ends together before tying it around the bolt as close to my skin as I could get it, to stop every little thing from moving it.

I don't think it hit anything important, or I'd probably be dead already.

I panted, looking up for my way out. First time around climbing outta here was easy but from down here— right now, that ridge looks a lot steeper.

I held my side as it throbbed, looking back at the dirt beneath me. That climb was intimdatin' the first time round.

I tried to push it out of my head as I struggled to get up. My side pulled but once I was on my feet again I went to what was probably a fallen tree at some point and found a large stick, testing it's strength out in the mud, to give me something to lean on before I make this climb.

A branch snapped and I froze, looking at the bushes so fast my head spun for a second.

Cautiously, I leaned and moved my head to try and see through the thick edge of the woods but it's no use. I can't see anything.

I took a wary step back, reaching around for my crossbow and my blood ran cold.

Where is—

I looked over and under my shoulder, on some level hoping I was just missing. I just had it—

My eyes darted towards the water.

The rustling continued and I backpedalled, almost tripping over my own two feet as I got back in the water, trying to be as quiet as I could. No splashing.

~

Eve's POV

I've been out here for hours.

I've searched almost my entire range, hours on my feet and trudging through the bushes— tracking down a trail that's not even here— with nothing to show for it.

I scratched my neck and pulled a strand of stuck hair from my lips; wiping the sweat off my forehead with the back of my hand.

I haven't seen any walkers really, aside from one that was already dead. It would have concerned me except it died because there was a tree on it's head. A tree that looked like it'd been struck by lightning. It probably happened a long time ago. There was hardly anything left of the body.

So there are two ways to see this. It could be a good thing that I haven't found anything, she might not have gotten all the way out here, which means we are searching in the right places; Or it could mean her trail is colder than we thought.

Oh I've never been religious but, God, I really hope the others are having more luck.

I glanced at the sky, listening to the bird song for a moment.

I hope Daryl's bird's eye view has panned out. I can't really see the ridge from here, not under the canopy, but it was a good idea.

Now if only one of these ideas or searches would produce some results.

~

Daryl's POV

I searched the water with the stick, pushing it along the bottom until it hit something that didn't feel natural and I reached my arm under.

My fingers grazed over something smooth and I found a grip, trying to raise it out of the water, I knew it was my crossbow. I know it ain't that heavy but pulling it out of the sticky mud on the bottom, and up through 4 feet of water, it felt like it weighed 60 pounds.

No wonder Eve was such a mess. I'm surprised she managed to pull 'erself as far outta that mud as she did; Stuff's like glue.

I made my way back to where I was before, my crossbow in hand this time.

It's gonna be dark in a couple hours. I don't have a horse anymore, means I gotta make it back on foot.

The first step up what might as well be a mountain side, was excruciating.

The ache felt like a white-hot rod's been shoved through my side.

My chest heaved. Every step, climb, jump, pull up, every move made me grit my teeth so hard my jaw hurt.

Heh, and I told Eve to be careful.

Never thought I'd be the one who needed savin' with 'er clumsy ass around.

I grabbed hold of a thin tree, throwing my stick up onto the next ledge. I took a quick breath, making sure my crossbow strap was secured around my arm and pulled.