Chapter 18

"Olivia! nice to see you again, how are your furry friends?" the lady at the desk of the shelter asked. "They are the best, i have way more animals now though," she laughed. "Oh really?" the lady smiled. "3 dogs, 1 cats, 3 birds and 3 sugar gliders, i had a gecko but he was murdered by my sisters." She explained, "this little girl is my new addition and i came to get some supplies," she explained, taking the parrot off her shoulder, she had bought her to let her choose some toys "shes so sweet," the lady picked her up and pat her, "i haven't decided on a name yet," Olivia shrugged, "what about Rose?" the lady suggested, Olivia thought for a minute, something pricked her, "nah that name is taken by someone else's Eclectus parrot," she whispered, with a slight grin. "Oh oops, what about Flame or Ivy?" she continued, "Ivy sounds cute," Olivia admitted, she decided it was a suitable name for such a sweet girl. "I'll take you to our supplies store," the lady lead them to a small room behind them. Ivy was placed on the stand in front of them, "what do you think?" Olivia turned to her mum, "as long as Ivy is comfy with it then sure," her mother smiled. "Okay you chill there for a bit," she told the parrot and went ahead to look for some toys. "buy 4 get 2 free until Monday," she read the sign, it was Monday today, she nervously looked around, that means she would have to choose soon. She picked out another rope, ladder, 2 puzzles, swing and another hanging toy with several things on it. "That should do," she turned to the lady and gave them to her, "did you bring your voucher, you can still adopt an animal," she suggested, "it includes a free cage and toys, all you need is the food." Olivia thought for a bit, she wanted to buy her sisters a pet or two, "do you have free adoptions?" she asked curiously, "we do actually, two ratties and a hamster," the lady smiled, her mother shook her head. "I don't like rats!" her mum was nervous. "Your a vet, have you not treated one?" Olivia was confused, "they aren't common here so no," her mum was glad. "she can have all three," her father butted in, Olivia smirked, she loved her father, he was just like her. He couldn't not bring any animal home, "i still have my tropical fish tank, you can use it, i had a hamster in there when i was a kid," he explained. "Thank you so much," she cheered, "she had alot of animals to look after but hopefully her sister would help her out now that she is getting the hamster for all three of them. Her brother grabbed her bird while she followed the lady to a room she hadn't been in before. "We have more rats that cost a small fee,only because these guys where surrendered to us today. That way you use the voucher and get free toys and a cage," the lady finished talking. "Here are your rats, i'll go get Lou the hamster" she explained, Olivia held the rats in her arms, they where not scared at all, just curious, they licked her fingers. One of them was a black hooded dumbo rat with rex hair the other was a top eared brown blaze harley hair. She placed them in the box provided, "Ollie and Shadow," she decided, "here's little lou, he is a dwarf hamster," the lady explained, glad he was getting a trust worthy home. "My sister is gonna love this little guy," Olivia predicted. "everyone loves these little guys until they find out they are a lot of work," the lady explained sadly, "his previous home was with a little girl, the girl didn't look after him so he was given to us, apparently he was from Petco so watch for health issues, petstore's shouldn't sell animals" she continued. Olivia agreed, "you will have a healthy long life with me," she smiled. "Even if it is 5 years lifespan you will enjoy it," she promised. She carried the two boxes to her parents, "You want me to grab another rat?" the lady asked, Olivia nodded and waited, she came back with a top eared black self with harley fur, "Templeton" she grinned, "how did you know it was a desexed boy?" the lady was about to tell her, "i didn't... he looks like a Templeton so i said it," she laughed, she just shook her head and they walked together. "Finished yet?" her mother was getting impatient. "Yep, 4 more handfuls," Olivia sighed. "All together that is $30" the lady explained, bagging the toys and handing the cage that was already set up, they placed it in the boot with the rats on Olivia's lap, Jamie held Lou and Hunter held Ivy. They passed the Orphanage, Olivia looked at the two kids who sat at the front, she recognized them instantly. Case and Katie sat there talking, her stomach dropped as they saw her in the car. They just looked at her with straight faces, Case got up and followed the car, until it stopped at a red light, Olivia wind the window down, "hey..." he puffed. "Hey Case, what brings you here?" Hunter immediately added himself to the conversation. Olivia shoved him and turned back to Case, "i miss you, i'm sorry for earlier, its just been hard," she spoke softly. "I miss you too, i will visit soon," he replied. The car drove off and his words trailed away. Olivia looked back at the boy who was getting smaller, he waved and started to walk back. "What was that?" Katie spat, "you are such a softy," she teased, "no... i still love her, you know that."