Chapter 3

"Olivia," a women knocked on her door, it was the care taker, "are you okay?" she asked sadly. "I don't know," she turned to the unknown face, she expected her to be her new mum but she was wrong. "It must be scary, you don't know anyone here, but I guess its not as hard as..." the women was cut off, the girl was looking at her phone. The women shed a tear, "you poor child," she felt sorry for her, "was that cat really such a friend to you?" she frowned, "yes, he was my only friend, I never went to school." Olivia sulked, the lady sighed and offered a hug, she took it, hugging her tight, she hadn't been hugged in so long. "Come down stairs for dinner," the women asked, getting up and walking down stairs, holding her hand, Olivia saw 8 pairs of eyes set on her as she sat down, "hello," one of the girls greeted her friendly, "you don't look too good," another girl was concerned. "leave her alone, she has been through a lot," the oldest kid suggested, he was a handsome 15 year old, Olivia appreciated his kindness. She was 13 herself turning 14, she sat next to him shy but ate, it was one of the best meals she had eaten, "thank you so much," she smiled for the first time, "your welcome sweets," the lady smiled back. "Call me Maria," the caretaker explained, "okay," Olivia nodded. "I'm Katie, this is Lexie," the girl on her other side explained, she was the first to speak, "nice to meet you," she grinned. "Want to come to my room?" Lexie asked, excusing herself from the table and running down the hall, Olivia followed curiously. "Come in," she insisted, sitting on her bed, Olivia sat with her, she felt a fluffy tail touch her, she turned expecting to see a happy little boy main coon but it was a different cat, in fact a completely different breed. "That's my cat Dazzle, a Persian aka couch potato, down worry he is friendly, all he does is smooch against people but doesn't like being picked up." Lexie explained with a grin, "his so cute, I miss my cat..." Olivia frowned, grief filled her eyes as she imagined her fluffy kitten jumping up on her and curling around her neck like a scarf. "Have you though of adopting another one or two? Our care taker loves animals, in fact any animal is welcome, her only rules are that they are to be looked after by us and must not come into the kitchen or her room." Lexie explained as if she was a expert, obviously she had gone though these rules several times. "I'd love to have my cat back, he was my only friend..." Olivia sighed, "how did he pass away?" Lexie asked curious but softly. "Shot down by a pedophile..." Olivia slowly blurted, a horrible image popped in her head, she felt a tear run down her face. "That's horrible," the girl placed her hand on her shoulder, "what's worse is that guy did something terrible to me..." she started shaking. Her new friend offered to hug her, she took the hug, I was the first time she had been hugged in years. She was never loved by her parents, the only hugs she got where when she would be dumped on a bus to her grandparents and they hugged her, when they passed away of course she got no hugs. "I feel sorry for you, my parents loved me..." Lexie frowned, "don't, I'm used to it," Olivia show no fear, only hatred that was deep inside her. "Want to come for a walk with me? We can walk my dog, yes I have a dog too, I kinda am mature and know what I'm doing haha," Lexie smiled, "yea," Olivia nodded and followed her down stairs to the backyard, there where 4 dogs playing together, "this is the limit in this country unfortunately unless you have a permit," Lexie already knew Olivia was thinking of how many kids had animals in this unique place. "It's cool," she commented, "yes," Lexie nodded. "Which one?" Olivia asked, smiling at all the credibly faces running around and sniffing her. "The husky with the heterochromia eyes," Lexie pointed to the white wolf like dog with one blue and one brown eye. They smiled at the beautiful girl as she padded over, "lets go," Lexie insisted, latching the chain leash on her black collar.
The two girls walked along the road, Olivia felt more confident. "Theirs Holly's animal rescue, wanna check it out, I love coming here, the staff love seeing my dog, her names Blizz by the way," Lexie explained with excitement, "sure," Olivia headed over with her and opened the door. "Good afternoon Lexie, Blizz and... who is this?" A lady greeted them, "I'm Olivia, the new girl," she explained to her, smiling brightly. "Nice to meet you hun," the lady nodded. They went ahead into the dog section, Blizz was well behaved and didn't even growl at the barking dogs, even if it was instinct for the husky breed. "Omg they have a Samoyed and German Shepherd puppy," Olivia screamed, "they are adorable," Lexie grinned. "I'll take 10 of them," she laughed, "remember how I said we need an animal permit at the orphanage? Well I just remembered that we actually needed to have one for all the animals there, so we have one, go ahead," Lexie smiled. "Yessss," Olivia ran to the cage and opened the door, the two puppies ran towards her as she opened the second secure door. She played with them for 10 minutes which seemed like 2 seconds to her. "I don't want to leave them," she frowned, "I can ask to put them on hold, we can ask for money," Lexie thought, "maybe," Olivia sighed. "What about looking at the cats and small animals too? You might change your mind," the lady behind them suggested, Olivia nodded and went to the next room.