You can run, but you can't hide

I got settled in more and more. The other guys noticed the closeness between Matt and me, and as much I hated to admit it. He was a pretty sweet guy. As things started to calm down, someone from my past made their appearance.

"Alex?" Someone asked.

I turned to see someone I figured I wouldn't notice, my best friend, Grace, great, another complication.

"What are you doing here?" Grace asked, walking up to me.

"I'm going to school here," I said casually.

"That's odd. My parents didn't mention you going to school here," Grace said a bit confused.

"It's a last-minute decision," I blurted.

"Oh," Grace said, confused.

Just then, I felt someone snake their arm around my waist and kiss my head, "Hey babe."

Grace's eyes widened when she saw Matt.

"Who's this?" Matt asked.

Before I answered, she said, "Grace, Alex's best friend from back home."

"Huh, Alex didn't mention any friends she had back home," Matt said.

I looked at Grace with wide eyes, and she spoke through gritted teeth. "Funny because she didn't mention she was coming here for school."

That was so not good.

"Well, I got to run to class, we'll meet up later to study," Matt said to me.

"Sure," I said back.

She looked at me and said, "Lucy, you have some esplainin to do."

"Come on, I'll show you my place and explain everything," I said, grabbing Grace's arm, linking it with mine.

When we got to my place, I showed her around and then made some coffee for us. We sat on the couch, and I explained everything to her. She stood up.

"So, let me get this straight, you disappear, arrive here, meet three of the hottest guys on the planet, and end up dating one, get this fantastic place, a job, and change your appearance," Grace said, without missing a beat.

"Pretty much," I said.

"Where do I sign up for your life?" She asked, flopping back on the couch, sighing.

"Yeah, but I'm also running from someone, too," I reminded Grace.

She looked at me and said, "Eh, semantics."

"Grace, promise me that you will tell no one where I am or who I am," I begged her.

"Alex, at some point, people will find out," she said.

"Please," I begged her, fluttering my eyelashes.

"Oh, fine, but if this goes south, I'm deaf, and you're blind," she said.

"Eek," I squealed, hugging her.

"Okay, so tell me about hottie from earlier," she said enthusiastically.

I filled her in about Matt and how we started dating. When she asked how I felt about him, I couldn't help the hesitation in my voice.

"Alex, you can't string this poor boy along." Grace reasoned.

"I know, but honestly, we started dating. I don't even know how I feel yet," I sighed.

"Well, my advice is don't let it go too long, or you'll have bigger issues," she said.