Erik Richards

After work, I checked out this party. I showered and changed into a skirt and tank top. I put on a pair of sandals with straps, grabbing a sweater if it got cold later. I came out of my building and followed people to the party.

I walked up to a parking lot, making my way to the party that raged on the beach. As I walked, I heard someone call me. I stopped, turning to see a guy leaning against the hood of his car. Looking around, he pointed at me and waved me over to him with his index finger.

I walked over to him and leaned against the hood of the car next to him.

"Fashionably late?" The guy asked me.

"I got off work," I answered.

"Oh, right, right? You work at the cafe," he said.

"You were with the other two guys yesterday, weren't you?" I asked the guy.

"Yeah," the guy replied.

"Erik, isn't it?" I asked.

"The one and only," he smirked.

I started to laugh, and he asked, "Something funny?"

"It's just that Ryan said the same thing last night when he walked me home," I said.

"Oh," Erik said.

"Yeah, after he tried to mug me," I said with a grin.

He gave me a confused look, "Mug you?"

"I thought he was a mugger because he followed me, but it was a misunderstanding," I said.

"Ah," he replied.

"So, why are you off by yourself?" I asked him.

"I'm not really in a party mood. I came because those yutzes made me come," Erik said.

"You could always have said no," I said casually.

"Yeah, but if I did, then we wouldn't be having a conversation, now would we?" He asked with a smile forming upon his lips.

"I guess not," I said with a slight giggle.

As we talked and laughed, Matt and Ryan watched us.

"It looks like your date has found other interests," Matt mentioned.

"Shut up," Ryan said to him. "She wasn't my date. I asked if she wanted to come."

"Well, if I were you, I would make a move quickly before someone else does," Matt said.

Ryan looked at Matt. "Look, no offense, but I can get any girl here that I want. I don't need one particular girl."

"Uh-huh," Matt replied skeptically.

He gave Matt a look. "Watch and learn, buddy," Ryan said, walking away and up to some girl, striking up a conversation.

Matt turned, looking at Erik and me as a smile formed upon his lips, "Well, if you don't, I will," he said to himself as he went back to the party.

Eventually, I said bye to Erik. He was a sweet, quiet guy. I made my way to the party, looking for Ryan. I found him talking to a girl. Okay, it seems like he's busy. Then, I saw Matt, yeah, no.

I got a drink when a girl walked up to me. It was the same girl that Matt was with the other day.

"Alex, is it?" The girl asked me.

I looked around. "Yeah."

"I'm Ashley," the girl introduced herself.

"Hi," I greeted her.

"Let's get something straight, this is my party, and I'm the queen bee here. So, if you think you will step on my turf, think again," she said, looking at me. The two girls on each of her smirked at me, great.

"Look, I don't have plans on stepping on anyone's turf or anything. Ryan invited me," I said.

"Oh? You mean that Ryan with Bree," she said, pointing to Ryan and the girl, he seemed cozy.

I looked at her. "Ryan invited me. It doesn't mean like a date," I whispered.

"Sure, you keep telling yourself that. Listen, I will save you a lot of grief. Those boys are way too popular for you. If I were you, I would keep your distance. I mean, who would want a mousy thing like you anyway," Ashley remarked. Ashley had a typical mean girl behavior.

"Look, I'm not here to get with anyone. I'm here to get an education. Now, if you excuse me," I said, setting my cup down on a table. As much as I wanted to stand there, berated by some girl that I didn't know, I talked to Ryan.

I walked up to him and lightly tapped his shoulder. "Hey, Ryan."

He turned and said, "Oh, hey, Alex." He whispered something to the girl.

"Nice party, isn't it?" I asked.

"Alex, if you don't mind, I'm kind of busy," he said.

"Uh, yeah, sure, sorry," I said, furrowing my brows. Ryan's tone was abrupt and curt. I looked around, noticing Ashley and the two girls laughing. I walked away.

Then, as I was walking, I got stopped by Matt, fantastic.

"Hey, sweet cheeks," he said enthusiastically.

I gave him a look. "Are you drunk?"

"Nah, well, maybe a little," he said with a goofy grin and moving his fingers.

I gave him a look.

"You know, I was a real jerk earlier. You're a little pretty," Matt said, slightly slurring his words. Great, he was drunk. That made me feel even better.

As Matt continued, people stopped and watched us.

"Matt, I think you've had a bit too much to drink," I said.

"So, now you're my mother?" Matt snapped.

"Well, no," I replied, confused.

"Oh, look, everyone! The new girl thinks she is my mother!" Matt yelled to the crowd of people.

It was getting ridiculous, and I couldn't deal with Matt's drunk mess. I went home.

"Yeah, that's right, walk away. No one wants your ugly ass anyway," Matt spat.

I should have stayed home after work. At least, I had time to talk to Erik. One decent thing happened tonight. Right?