Old friends

(Sophie's POV)

You took a seat on the bench overlooking the lake still watching the sunset fall over the hills, while Demi sat next to you. "Look at this," you say, pointing to one of the wooden panels on the bench. In faded Sharpie, you trace over the words "Sophie+ Nate".

"I wrote that 4 years ago," you said quietly. "I'm always surprised when I see it every time I come down here ." She lightly traced her own finger over the words, glancing up at you.

"Tell me the story behind it," she said, sensing that it was meaningful. You sat back in your seat, going back to that summer.

"Well," you began. "Nate is -" you stop yourself. "was my best friend. It was the summer of 2010. I was 16, Nate was 17. His parents finally allowed me to come on vacation with them. I loved there parents, well they were more like parents to me than my own. You looked up at Demi, and she was fully listening.

"They thought I was his girlfriend or something, but he was truly my best friend. We told each other everything. We snuck out of the cabin at 2 AM and came to this bench. He dared me to write my name on it, but I told him if I did it, I was going to write both of our names, so he would get in trouble too." You smiled at the memory.

"That week was perfect with him. It ended too fast." You looked up into the sky, trying to focus on anything to keep your composure.

"Nate died a month later," you say bluntly. "He was hit by a car riding his bike." Demi placed her hand on yours. You hadn't realized it, but your voice was quivering. "It just didn't make sense," you say quietly. "I needed him, and he was taken from me."

Demi moves closer to you. "I'm so sorry, Sophie," she said. "I'm sure it was hard." She was right - that summer with him was the best, and that fall was the worst you'd ever experienced.

"But I know he's up there," you said, regaining your composure. "I've learned I'm not alone." Demi then tells you the story about Trenton, one of her best friends. You both sat there, recalling your favourite memories with them. Normally, this would have brought tears to your eyes, but with Demi, you were laughing.

(A-N I am sooo sorry for this late update! I've had the worst writers block EVER! I will hopefully be updating more regularly, but I'm not promising! Anyway thank you for still reading this, and also for all the votes! I love how you vote without me even asking you too!:* I love you all! Stay beautiful!)