Kagomes first mission

I woke up the next morning and grabbed my things. This mission would take at least two weeks so I needed to make sure I had everything I needed. I packed my clothes and food for the road into my bag and then my kunai, shuriken, and paper bombs into my pack attaching it to my waist. I strapped on my katana before tying the leaf band around my forehead and heading out the door. It was still dark out as I made my way to the gates of the village. *I wonder who will be joining me on this mission, besides Kiba* I thought as I leaned against the post. I turned my gaze towards the village as I looked over it all. It's funny but I'm going to miss this place while I'm gone. The company of the village soothed me, I belonged here now. Going back home was sure to be a very painful experience. There's no telling what I would find upon arrival.

Soon the familiar outline of Kiba appeared around the corner. I smiled as he walked towards me with Akamaru at his side. "Good morning Kiba, hey there Akamaru" I said reaching out to scratch Akamaru behind the ear. "Hey Kagome, no one else arrive yet?" Kiba asked looking around.
"Nope just us so far." I said as I watched him stand next to me and lean against the same post. "It should stay that way. I don't know why Tsunade had to gather a team I mean I think me and Akamaru are enough." He said boastingly. I giggled and nudged him with my elbow "don't be silly Kiba, I've no experience on missions and this could be dangerous. The path to the mountains isn't one walked by many." I remembered the winding paths up to the mountains and steep rocks. The area around my village wasn't exactly what you could call safe. Many wild animals, and ninja trying to attain my clans secrets roamed the area. Kiba shrugged and closed his eyes leaning back against the post. Before I knew it two more figures were approaching. Through the darkness I could make out who they were. "Is that Neji? And Shikamaru?" I asked as Kiba opened one of his eyes peering in the direction of the two. He smelled the air and then huffed again "yeah, it's them all right."
"Hello Kagome, Kiba." Neji said walking towards us. I looked over at Shikamaru who had his hands shoved in his pocked as he yawned. I guess getting up this early was troublesome for him. "Hello Neji I didn't think you'd be coming with us." I said smiling up at him. "He wasn't supposed too actually, poor guy begged Tsunade to let him." Shikamaru said covering a yawn with his hand. I stopped at his comment and grew wide eyed I couldn't tell exactly through the dark but Neji appeared to have a flush on his face for a second. Kiba glared at Neji and scooted closer to me protectingly.

Shikamaru sighed as he rolled his head addressing us once more. "I will be leading this mission, the plan is to make it to the hidden mountain clan in 5 days time. Kagome knows the way so she will lead along with Neji who will be using his Byakugan to make sure no one troublesome will be getting in our way. Kiba you will take the back of the group along with Akamaru so you can sniff out anyone suspicious trying to get the drop on us. And I guess I'll just stay in the middle and let you guys do all the work. This shouldn't be a mission we need to worry about. 5 days there and 5 days back, but this is still an important job so don't let your guard down." He spoke as he stood in front of us. Kiba grew agitated at the fact Neji would be beside me the whole way. I snickered at him as he stomped his way to the back of the group. Neji took a place by my side as I smiled over up at him and we began the long walk.

I chatted with Neji as we walked along the path occasionally glancing back at Kiba. I could feel his eyes on me the entire time. I knew it made him terribly jealous that I was beside Neji this whole time but he really had nothing to worry about. Neji is just a really close friend of mine. Although sometimes even though I hate to admit it to myself when he looks at me I can't help but feel... something. After a day of walking Shikamaru stopped us all to set up camp for the night. I walked towards Kiba as he set up a fire "so how's life in the back of the group?" I asked teasing him. He smirked and looked up at me "ah it's not so bad, I've got a nice view." He said winking at me. That immediately shut me up as I blushed a bright red *that cheeky Kiba I knew he was staring at me the whole time! Not even really at me just my ass.* I thought to myself as I turned away from him and began to set up my tent. Shikamaru had already turned in for the night as I went and sat down at the fire in the middle of Neji and Kiba. I yawned and gazed into the flames as Neji looked over at me. "We walked a considerable distance today Kagome you should get some rest."
Kiba glared at Neji then looked my way as well. "She doesn't have to if she doesn't want to, besides this journey must be hard on her I'm sure it will be difficult to rest." They argued for a moment before I stepped in "thank you both for your consideration, I'll take your advice and head off now." I said shooting them both glances as I stood up brushing my skirt off. "My apologies, have a good rest Kagome." Neji spoke bowing his head. Kiba stood up and walked over towards me placing his hand on my shoulder "sleep well, if you need me I'll be right there." He said smiling at me softly before cutting his eyes at Neji. It was like they were having some weird unspoken competition, and quite frankly I didn't want any part of it. I grabbed Kibas hand and tossed it off my shoulder before cutting my eyes back at him. "I will be fine on my own." I turned away from both of them before heading into my tent for the night.