chapter twenty

I heard the screaming sirens. I heard the paramedic announce my heart rate. I heard the rain on the streets. I heard no familiar voices.

It was interesting. Living, listening, but not moving. Not interacting. I couldn't exactly help it of course, I was in between conscious and unconscious. I felt no pain, no emotions. I just know I could hear.

I don't know how long I laid in this hospital bed before I woke up, but I sure felt sore. It felt like I hadn't moved in months. My eyes were only half open and I was easing my sight to the brightness.

I rolled my head to the left and I saw a nurse messing with the machine I was attached to. She smiled and glanced down at me. "Good morning."

I turned my heavy and achey neck towards to clock to my right. 4:53 in the morning.

I caught a glimpse of Ashton sleeping in the chair in the corner of the room. His long, lanky legs were stretched out over the white tile.

My nurse handed me a small plastic cup of water and several pills, all different colors and sizes. She explained they were for pain and a few other things that didn't process through my hazy mind.

I sat up as well as I could. My body ached all over and my arms felt so weak.

"Thank you", I choked out.

I gulped down my water running over the moments that led up to me being here in this cold room.

I was shaking. I don't know if it was from the memories, the temperature, or the anxiety of being here. My spine shivered as I recalled the impact. There was only a single moment I could really put my finger on.

When I slung off the road, I remember taking my hands off of the wheel so fast. I was so afraid to turn into it, just like my dad taught me when I was 16. I was afraid of messing up when I know I could've done something to make this so much less worse than it is.

A doctor came into my room. Her long, black braids tucked into a neat bun behind her head. She introduced herself. She was explaining so many things at once to me and I just smiled and nodded. I signed page after page of paperwork. She told me she talked to my dad, and he'd be here soon. I didn't break anything, just bruised.

I felt dizzy. Not sick or nauseous. The room was spinning and I peered over to Ashton who was staring back at me with red eyes.

"Your dad sent me here." He quietly said. "He got a call and jumped on the first flight here. He'll be here soon and we can get you home."

I smiled. "Home." I repeated. I stared up at the bright hospital lights. "What exactly happened?" I asked, looking back over to him.

"You went around a corner and hit a bank. You passed out from the airbag hitting you, but after that it was your body reacting to panic and stress or something like that. Your car is banged up, but it'll survive. You're pretty banged up too. I know you'll survive too."

I quietly laughed. "Yeah." Is all I managed to get out.

I cared so much for this kid. My eyes were tearing up in the corners. I couldn't imagine a life without him and I'm glad he doesn't have to live one without me.

-

My dad was a tough one. We had been arguing all day on whether I should be going out or not the day after I'm released from the hospital. He wanted me to rest my body more and I was getting cabin fever. I knew he needed to be back at work and I wanted to feel as normal as I could again.

I had been texting Ashton and Calum all day. I even got a text from Michael hearing that he got the news and that he wanted to see me soon.

My dad and I made a deal. He would stay for two days more and I could go out for dinner tonight, as long as I'm back before 10. Then tomorrow, I'm all his so we could spend father-daughter time before he heads back to work.