chapter three

Ashton and I quietly giggled amongst ourselves as our chemistry teacher rambled on for the two hour period. For the last term we were placed in alphabetical order according to our first names and we were sat right next to each other.

We had just been going on about our funny spring break stories even though Ashton's were more interesting. He had gone to the beach and had a few good run ins with college kids. Very drunk college kids to be exact.

He was just in the middle of telling me a story, which I could barely hear since he was whispering and giggling at the same time, about some girl throwing herself at him when his name was called by our teacher.

"Irwin," The teacher called out, seeming very irritated.

"Um, sir?" He answered as he pulled back from me. I watched as his eyes widened from slight fear. The only time he got in actual trouble was with me and it was never anything major.

"The answer?" Our teacher questioned back.

It was evident that Ashton had no clue what he was even talking about and I was lucky enough to zone in on the past 5 minutes of the lesson.

"Hund's rule." I whispered, still keeping my eyes on the teacher.

"Hund's rule." Ashton answered quickly. He received a reluctant nod from him and slumped into his chair a second after. "Thanks, Ands." He whispered again.

I scrunched my nose up at him and left him without a reply. This happened more than often and it surprised me that he had a higher grade than me in the class. Even though it was only by two points, it was still surprising.

I sighed and leaned my chin into my hand, scribbling down the endless amount of notes on the board. The rest of the class dragged on as expected, the highlights being Ashton kicking at my legs underneath the table to bother me.

We were now at 5 minutes left of class and the sound of back unzipping and loose paper being crumpled was heard. I glanced around at the other 15 kids behind us then back to Ashton who had the same tired expression as I did. If there was anything to wear you out more it would be two hours in AP Chemistry.

The bell rang in the middle of our teacher's sentence and I started gathering my things. Since I was in first lunch, I headed straight to the cafeteria with Ashton to meet up with Calum.

"So," Ashton began, catching my attention. "How are things with that Luke kid?" He asked rather randomly.

"I said he was cute, not that I wanted to mother his children." I joked, tossing my back pack over my shoulders.

"Well I mean, like, have you seen him around or anything?" He shrugged as we headed out of the classroom.

"He's gone to our school for three years and I haven't seen him once except in ISS." I sighed.

"You've actually been here for a year." He pointed a finger at me, or at least tried to since his hands were tangled in his headphones he pulled out of his pockets.

"That's true, but technically-"

"Andy." He groaned. We had been through this at least a hundred times and I lost the argument of it every time.

"Okay, sorry, but has Calum talked to Michael about him?" We turned the corner of the crowed hallway and made our way down to the cafeteria.

"Not that I know of." He shrugged again and I peered down to the ground, watching my feet scuff the old tile.

"You guys are useless." I laughed as we stepped into the lunch room.

Ashton went on about something that would defend him and I drowned him out as we walked towards our usual table that we sat at. Calum was already there waving us over and I joined him, sitting down across from him.