6

You don't know where you are. But you know its obviously a dream, because just moments ago you were lying in your bed trying to rid of your thoughts, and then suddenly you are now standing in the middle of nowhere.

And when you say nowhere, you mean absolutely nothing but dry dirt, dead trees, bushes, and scorching heat. It must be some sort of desert. Wherever you are in the world, its nowhere near home.

The land is flat with large cracks stretching across the plain, probably from the heat that is reflecting off of it and into the air, completely engulfing your body in waves of heat.

It causes you to sweat perfusely. You look down at your clothes to find that you are in your typical sleepwear, drenching in sweat. You pinch your top and shake it in and out to provide the slightest bit of cool air as you look around. No buildings to be seen, no people, just you and dead trees and bushes. You have no sense of direction on where the next living thing is. You can't do anything but just to walk in a random direction and hope for the best.

Thirst immediately takes over. You can feel your mouth go dry, your lips become chapped, and a hollowness in your stomach that begs for water. But there isn't any to be seen from where you stand. And in fact, you don't think there isn't any water for miles. Any sufficient amount of water would evaporate in a split second as soon as it made contact with this air.

You clear your throat and keep walking. And then you hear a screech, like some type of animal, echo in the distance. Then just above the horizon, ascends a black dot into the sky. It grows larger and larger as it near you, soon enough that you can now see its features.

Its like an eagle, but not. Its much, much larger. Almost the size of a horse. It has the huge, strong wings, sharp clawed talons, and a body and head covered with brown feathers the size of your forearm.

It caws another screech, echoing through the land. You watch it as it swings around and circles you once, like what eagles do when they see prey that looks good enough to eat. Then it flies off back onto its original path, back down the horizon, giving you up as a meal.

Its a dream, of course whatever reality this is has surrealism.

You keep walking in the insane heat and can feel the sun burn into skin. The sweat on the back of your neck does nothing to protect your shoulders and back. You debate to go and sit underneath a dead tree until nightfall when its cooler, but something gives you the feeling that there isn't a night time here. Plus the dead trees would provide no shade with their bony, white branches.

After what feels like hours, you are completely dehydrated. Your head throbs with a migraine, stomach feels like it is inside out, skin burnt to the point it hurts to move, and the only thing on your mind is water. You are dragging your feet, taking a slower step each time. You hold your stomach in your arms and trudge on.

Until you collapse onto the scorching ground, curled up into a ball. The pain is overwhelming. You want to cry, but whatever liquids that were in your body are probably dried up and evaporated. No tears come.

This makes you want to die.

I can just wake up. This is my dream.

You try and try to wake up. Opening your eyes over and over, convincing your mind that you are in your bed, and pinching yourself until you bleed, but you still feel the heat of the sun.

Why cant I wake up?!

Maybe I have to kill myself. You think. You don't like the idea, but it almost sounds relieving if it means you escape the heat, either just to reenter another dream, or to find yourself in your bed. You don't care at this point. Death is the way to go.