• Chapter 20 •

"So, is there anything more you want to do with the orphans?" asked Therese to break the silence, gesturing to the children who were giggling at their interaction.

Alan turned to her, quite surprised she even acknowledged he was there, and ended up stammering for words. "I, w-well, I believe we're supposed to discuss more about the auditions...? The director of the film will arrive with Mr Cumberbatch in a few days shortly to confirm everything, so for now, we'll just set an outline for them to add the details." They all nodded, and as if Therese couldn't ask for more with Owen in the scene in the corner trying to cool off, someone walked into the room with a heavy stack of papers.

"Amore, I'll be heading to the other house due to a call! I'll be leaving you in charge of my stuff until tomorrow!" shouted a familiar yet muffled voice both Simon and Alan recognized from the doorway. It was a much older and raspier voice, but then again, it was undoubtable to who it belonged to.

"I've been informed. Why are you shouting-" she asked before being interrupted by one of the orphans. "There's new visitors today, Papa Jamie!"

The two visitors froze in shock at the name. Glancing at each other, there was no coincidence this was him. It was their boss' rival after all these years. And they both knew if he saw them again now, they'd probably end up being strangled to death or something. "Uncle Jamie, we have visitors."

Behind the stack of papers being placed tiredly on the desk, Jamie Wincott indescribably grew taller, and the features of his face Therese proved that his niece looked very similar to him as an adult. Really, all of them could admit the man could take on aging very well.

But despite Therese already informing the man about the two men, Uncle Jamie simply nodded while looking down on his phone, presumed to be busier than Therese ever could, and waved at their direction without even noticing.

"That's good, that's good, but pardon me for I don't have time for any visitors today. But feel free to join my niece. Now I have to catch a cab. Again, I do apologise."

And as he stood in between the doorway, he said a small "I'll see you soon, Amore" before taking off.

There was a small silence between them after what happened with Uncle Jamie, that even Betty Mae, Owen, nor Simon did not know how to break it.

But a soft tug on Therese's top made her look down, to find Princess, one of the shortest of the girls, looking up from the woman's tall height and asking, "What's Amore mean?"

"Amore means love."
"Amore means love."

Therese quickly froze when Alan cared to reply the same, and Alan himself knew it was stupid of him to say such.

They both looked at each other, but instead of looking away, Alan smiled at her direction. A smile that she couldn't admit looked handsome.

'Just a coincidence I'm sure-... wait' a voice in her head thought, and Simon, who was excitedly grinning at their awkwardness, then bursted out, "So, I guess being best friends didn't worn out, huh?"

[]•[]•[]

"What does Amore mean?" Simon asked through a stuffed mouth full of marshmallows.

"Amore means love."
"Amore means love." Alan and Therese said simultaneously.

His eyes widened. "Wow. You sure know what to say. Are you two related or something?"

"Best friends."

"Best friends." They said again. Simon watched as they high-fived.

[]•[]•[]

"Best friends," breathed Therese as Alan's smile towards her faded into a face left hanging at her words. The orphans were still resuming their tiny giggles because of the two, but Therese felt Princess' tug on her top again, making her look down. "Hmm, yes, darling?" she said sweetly, kneeling down.

The little girl's lips mumbled something so quickly she didn't wish the rest to hear but didn't seem to make sense, and so Therese leaned closer, "Pardon?" Princess cleared her throat as she pointed her index finger between Alan and Simon.

"Auntie-mommy, that mister was the one who helped me because of my stage thing."

Therese looked at who she was pointing and didn't wish to ask who. "Stage fright? Oh, you mean Mister de Villa-"

"No, silly auntie-mommy!" she squealed, now pointing vigorously at Alan, who was rather confused that moment, "the taller mister, and weird voice!"

Simon chuckled at Alan's reaction, and all the Amorese orphans nod their heads. "So... you've met him before?" inquired one of the boys, Howard, curiously, in which Princess smiled as a yes. All of them chanted "oooh" before exchanging glances.

"THANK YOU HUG!" all of them shouted excitedly, hugging Alan, who wasn't expecting the embrace or did he mind being hugged.

It felt tight and warm in the center, one might even admit to be enjoyable, but before they can all pull away, Princess shouted from inside, "Auntie-Mommy should hug mister too!"

Simon, Betty Mae, but out of all of them, Therese's eyes grew the widest as her wrist was pulled inwards the group. The orphans immediately pushed her into the center which where Alan was. Therese tried to loosen their grips on her, but she was powerless against at least five of them, even the small ones.

Slowly being shoved forward, she was now face to face as close as to the his, moving her head in directions that didn't face him.

And honestly, Alan only wished to just look at her again.

His chest was now pressing against hers that Therese was begging to the heavens she swore to never eat a waffle for a month if she could just be broken free. Her nervousness getting the best of her, and feeling one of the children's hands making her arms wrap around Alan himself.

"I'm really sorry about this, sir, this... hug will never happen again," she whispered embarrassingly, still trying to squirm free.

Alan smiled again, staring at her in a way he couldn't describe (*cough* lovingly *cough*), "I believe it's been too long since we've ever hugged, Waffles. Far too long. And frankly, I don't mind it at all."

His Childhood Friendजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें