Chapter 40 - This Should Be Interesting

Beep beep!

Beep beep!

Beep beep!

Groaning, I rolled over and slapped my alarm clock, shutting it up. I closed my eyes once more and sighed, as my new Star Wars covers engulfed me in a cotton cloud. Yeah, I decided to get rid of my Ice Woman merch, and put it in storage. Now my walls were unusually bare. Sleepy thoughts began slowly subsiding in my head, but then I remembered.

Today was the day.

Blaze Boy and Aidan were coming to my house.

Or should I say, Aidan as Blaze Boy was coming to my house.

This should be interesting.

As I got up out of bed, I heard the front door slam shut, meaning my mother had left for work. I was alone in the apartment, apart from Rufus, who was still sleeping on his bed on the floor of my bedroom. Still yawning continuously, I trotted into the kitchen to find a note on the tabletop.

Good morning, sleepy head!

I guess you went for a long walk last night, as I didn't hear you come back into the apartment until very late! Make your own lunch today, and no leaving the apartment please.

Love Mom x

Oh yeah. She didn't know about my adventures last night. I made myself some toast, spread loads of Nutella on it, and padded back into my room. It was then I noticed the glowing container of blue liquid sat on my desk. Munching my toast, I picked up the container and gazed at the substance. Weird.

After I finished my toast, I changed into a Twenty One Pilots t-shirt and jeans, jumped onto my messy bed and turned my laptop on. As it flickered to life, I noticed the time. 9:55am. I had no idea when Aidan was coming, but Blaze Boy would be arriving any minute. On my bedroom floor, Rufus yawned and stood up, shaking his coat.

"Mornin', Rufus." I muttered, watching as he walked over to his water bowl and began lapping at it loudly. I kept a bowl of water in my room for Rufus, because sometimes he was locked in here. It figured out.

Suddenly, there was a knock at my window.

Bingo.

Smirking to myself, I pulled open my blinds, and sure enough, Blaze Boy was crouching on my windowsill in the morning sun. I shoved open my window.

"Good morning." Blaze Boy exclaimed, as I stepped aside to let him in. He landed on my bedroom floor and looked around in wonder. "You took away your Ice Woman stuff."

"Yeah, I thought it might be necessary, as she attacked another crowd last night." I said, before jumping back on my duvet. Yeah, you heard me. There was another attack last night. Ice Woman has killed 3 more innocent civilians.

"All the more reasons to find out what this stuff is." Blaze Boy muttered, sauntering over to the container.

"Yep."

"Wait...how do you plan on figuring out what it is?" Blaze Boy asked, turning to me. I grinned and hopped off of my bed. I grabbed my desk chair and moved it to one of my bookshelves. I climbed onto the chair and reached up to the very top shelf of my bookshelf. My hands fumbled around in the dust, but soon they clasped onto a large, metal box. I grabbed the box and hopped down from the chair.

"This is how we'll find out what's in that substance." I declared, putting the box on my desk next to the container. Blaze Boy looked confused as I began unlocking the locks on the box. Soon, I had unlocked it, and I opened the box, revealing one of my most treasured possessions. My expert chemistry kit. The kind of kit that actual chemists use.

"This is...very technical." Blaze Boy said, as his eyes ran over the pieces of glass equipment. I'll give it to him, it does look complicated, but I've been using this kit since the age of 10. I'm a bit science mad.

"Pour some of the blue stuff into this." I thrusted a glass measuring cup into Blaze Boy's hand and got to work setting up the equipment, whilst Blaze Boy poured out the liquid.

"Here you go." He gave me a sample of the liquid, and I placed it on a heat-proof mat. "I didn't know you were a science lover."

"Well, everyone has secrets, don't they?" I replied, turning to look into his hazel eyes. Yeah, you're Aidan Smith.

"Alright, Einstein. Just tell me what to do." Blaze Boy drawled, chuckling. I made him hold a different measuring cup as I threw in some chemicals, and then mixed them together.

There's a colour chart in this box, can you find it?" I asked, as I began to set up the experiment. Blaze Boy rummaged around in the chemistry set before finding a piece of paper.

"This one?"

"Yes. It'll tell us what chemicals are in this blue liquid." Blaze Boy simply stood beside me, dumb-founded, as I took some of the testing chemicals in the pipette, and dropped them into the blue substance. Immediately, it began fizzing.

"Is that meant to happen?" Blaze Boy inquired, sounding wary.

"Don't worry." I muttered, watching in awe as the blue substance turned from blue into a deep red colour. It stopped fizzing almost immediately, and just like that it was over.

"What's red?" I asked, grabbing the colour chart from Blaze Boy's hands and examining it.

Red = The substance contains a mixture of Krypton, Magnesium, and Polonium. These are highly toxic and radioactive.

Uh oh.

"Cover your mouth and nose!" I cried, rushing forwards to the now-red substance. I slammed a glass lid on it and screwed it tight, before making sure the original substance was air-locked as well.

"What? What is it?" Blaze Boy looked scared. Bless him.

"Don't worry about it now, but that stuff is lethal. It could've done serious damage." I explained, opening my window so that the air in my room would circulate a little.

"So you're saying it's poisonous?"

"Yeah, kinda."

Ding dong.

The doorbell rang loud and clear through the apartment. I looked over at Blaze Boy. Surely not. It must be the postman.

"It's probably the postman. Just wait here." I exclaimed, opening my bedroom door and gliding down the hallway. I opened the door to find none other than Aidan at the door, with his floppy black hair and hazel eyes. Surely not.

What?

"Bonjour, mademoiselle Cascade." Aidan drawled, stepping into my apartment. I stared at him, open-mouthed. "Are you alright? Smitten by my good looks?"

I snapped out of my shock and kicked him on the shin, before closing the door.

"Er...you're earlier than I thought." I stammered, unsure of what to do. I wasn't expecting this at all. They weren't the same person.

"Well then, we had better get started on this French shenanigans." Aidan said, gazing around the apartment. "Nice place."

"Er..thanks. My room is this way." I declared, ushering for him to follow me down the hallway. Nervously, I opened my bedroom door to find Blaze Boy stroking Rufus. When Aidan and I entered, he stopped.

"Well..Aidan, this is Blaze Boy, Blaze Boy, this is Aidan." I said, aware of the awkward silence engulfing my bedroom. Blaze Boy's eyes were wider than I had ever seen them.

"Aidan? Aidan Smith?" He murmured, looking at the boy. Aidan nodded, looking both confused and amused at the same time. He was probably wondering what a superhero was doing in my bedroom. To be honest, I was beginning to wonder the same thing.

"Yes, that's me." Aidan stated.

"Y-You're my long-lost brother."

Say what?!