Chapter 9 - Mask Maker

Day 2 of Rufus' absence. I woke up feeling groggy and rolled over in my bed to check the time. 9:58am. I had a sudden surge of panic before realizing it was a Saturday, and rolled back over into my comfy position. Yesterday I avoided social interactions at school, keeping my head low in class and only talking to Rachael, who lifted my spirits by accidentally dyeing her hair platinum blonde and regretting it thoroughly.

"Bye honey!" I distantly heard the front door slam. Phew. An apartment to myself all day. I predicted a Star Wars movie marathon and tonnes of ice cream. But first, beauty sleep. I was about to float back into the dream land when a loud knock erupted from my bedroom window.

"Oh for god's sake." I muttered, suddenly remembering my arrangements with Blaze Boy. I rubbed my eyes and tumbled out of bed in my Star Wars pajamas, and pulled back my curtains, to find Blaze Boy crouched on my windowsill with a croissant in his hand. I slowly pulled open my windows and glared at him as he smirked at my current state.

"Nice hairstyle." I glanced over at the mirror on my wall and found a cross between a lion and an orangutan's hair looking back at me, with a face like thunder.

"Shut up."

"Just saying!" Blaze Boy exclaimed, as I stood back and let him come inside. "I brought you a croissant by the way." I studied his covered-up face as he handed the delicious treat to me.

"How did you....you're a first-class stalker now, and don't deny it." I declared, biting into the French goodness. Blaze Boy smirked and put his hands up.

"Hey, it's not my fault I've spotted you three times munching on a croissant. Anyway, we need to leave now. Your appointment is at 10:15."

Ten minutes later I was dressed and shoving my Vans on my feet. I ran my hairbrush through my hair and climbed out of the window after Blaze Boy, who had been waiting in the hallway.

"Where are we going?" I asked, looking over at Blaze Boy.

"You'll see. Now hang on to me." What?! Nuh uh, sister. There was no way I was clinging onto Blaze Boy while he flew around at frightening speeds.

"No thanks, I'll take a cab." I exclaimed, crouching on the windowsill.

"Suit yourself. I'll be taking the scenic route."

"Fine, give me the address."

"13B 8th Street." I scrambled back into my room and watched as Blaze Boy flew away, before locking my window and rushing through my apartment to the front door.

"Here we are, ma'am. 13B on 8th Street." I looked out of the grimy cab window in confusion. It was a grey building with pretty little curtains surrounding the windows, but there wasn't a sign or anything indicating why I was here or what it was.

"Er...thanks. Keep the change." I shoved a ten dollar note in the cab driver's direction and slammed the door, gazing up at the building.

"Finally. I've been sitting here for twenty minutes." Blaze Boy muttered, coming into my view from a streetlamp above my head.

"Well if you must know, there was a queue for the taxis." I said, watching as he landed next to me. "And what even is this place?"

"It's a mask maker's place that also does custom suits." Blaze Boy declared, strutting up to the front door and knocking. I sighed and felt my phone vibrate in my jean's pocket. I whipped it out to find 3 texts from Rachael.

10:05AM from Rach:

Hey Cass! My mom's not well so we're postponing LA to another weekend ugh

10:08AM from Rach:

R U awake?

10:10AM from Rach:

I'm coming over. Ur mom's out so we can hang together. It's not like u have anything better 2 do LOL

My eyes widened. Rachael knew that I literally had no friends that would hang out with me on a Saturday morning. She also knew that I normally didn't even rise from my bed until 11. She would know something is up.

"Give me an excuse why I'm here!" I cried, looking up at Blaze Boy.

"Why?"

"My friend is saying she's coming over!"

"Just say you're out with a friend." He drawled, turning to the door as the sound of a lock could be heard.

"Firstly, you are not my friend. Secondly, she would know something's up."

"Aw, you're sweet."

"Shut up."

Before I could even reply to Rachael, the door creaked open, revealing a small lady with a very extravagant haircut. Bright blue with a fringe. That's all I'm gonna say.

"Blaze Boy, darling! Do come in." The woman's eyes landed on me and narrowed. "Who are you?"

"This is Cascade. She's the client you're seeing today, Velma." Blaze Boy said, stepping inside. I gingerly followed. Once we were inside, I felt like gasping. Seriously. The building was so drab and bare on the outside, but inside it was minimalist and stylish, with red sofas and detailing, and marble flooring. There were large, abstract paintings on the wall (to me they looked like toddlers' artwork, but they were probably worth millions) and lavish rugs on the floor. Velma close the door and trotted through the white hallway, ushering for us to follow. Blaze Boy walked alongside me and leaned over.

"Velma has been the best mask maker in San Francisco for years. All the great supers have suits from her." He whispered. I nodded and stopped behind Velma as she approached a closed door, which had a keypad to unlock it. She tapped in a few numbers at lightning speed and the door unlocked, revealing a large, white room with two red sofas in the center and...a conveyor belt at the back. Normal.

"Do take a seat , darlings. Let me get my sketchpad." Velma trotted over to a table as Blaze Boy and I took a seat on one of the sofas. She grabbed a large sketchpad and a pencil and strutted over to us, plonking herself opposite me.

"So then, Cascade, What power do you have?" She asked, looking up at me through her bright red glasses.

"I..I can shoot water."

"She's an aqua type." Blaze Boy cut in, obviously knowing what he was talking about. Velma nodded and leaned back on the sofa.

"And your name, darling?"

"Cascade."

"No, I mean your super name."

What? When it came to names I was the least imaginative person in the world. Seriously. I used to have a pet goldfish called Goldie. Yup. I racked my brain trying to think of words related to water. Liquid Girl? Ha, how stupid does that sound?! H20 Kid? Lol, that wasn't even debatable. Aqua...

"Aqua Girl."