Chapter 47 - The Beginning Of The End

Quicksilver disappeared from view, and it was time to kick into action.

"C'mon, I'll race you up there." Blaze Boy drawled, before shooting off from the windowsill. The heat from his flames hit my face as he zoomed away.

"Show off." I muttered, racing after him. Soon, I had caught up to him, and we were circling the city from a high altitude. The buildings and cars below looked tiny from up here, like a little model from the Lego store or something. It was weird.

"So, do we have any idea what this serum bomb looks like?" I shouted over the roar of the wind, Blaze Boy looked behind us and froze.

"Like that! It seems to have gravitational energy!" He replied, flipping his body around to the face the other direction. As he belted away from me I flipped myself over and had a moment of shock, and (partly) horror. Coming towards the city was a giant purple ball, that was floating towards the city. 

Likes the ones in a ball pit at a children's indoor playground.

But thousands of times bigger.

And most likely more dangerous.

"This is crazy." I murmured under my breathe, racing to catch up with Blaze Boy. Once again, I found myself alongside him. "What's the plan?!" 

"Get that thing away from the city. We need to drop it in the river or something, it only affects humans, not animals!" 

I nodded. Once I had a plan in my head, I was ready. Together, Blaze Boy and I began approaching the levitating ball at speed. We shot over the Golden Gate river but as I was about to brake left to surround the ball, a loud crash of lightning boomed through the atmosphere.

"Just as expected! Get ready! Quicksilver'll be down below in a moment." Blaze Boy instructed, braking off to the right to circle the ball. I followed him and flew up close to the ball. It was worst than I expected. I was expecting a sort of bubble that would pop at the touch of a fingernail, and then all we'd have to do was get rid of ElectroNite, but the ball was fizzing with electricity that would probably hurt. Or worst, kill.

"Let's find out what this is made of!" Blaze Boy shouted, before reaching towards the bubble. Before I had time to stop him, his finger made contact with the bubble's shell, and he flew backwards, plummeting into the trees. I swore loudly and diverted myself to catch him, as he began tumbling into the forest below. I dashed below the tree-line, heart racing, to find Blaze Boy laying on the ground, looking unhurt. What?

"Sorry, I beat you." Quicksilver appeared next to me, smirking. I gave him the side-glance before firing water at Blaze Boy's face. We didn't have time for sleeping.

"Get moving! I'm waking him up! Get to that ball of serum!" I screamed at Quicksilver, forcing him to dash out of the trees in a blur. I heard coughing from beneath the torrent of water, and stopped the energy as Blaze Boy sat up, dripping wet.

"W-What was that for?!" He asked, standing up and spluttering.

"Time wasting. Now c'mon!" I declared, shooting back up out of the forest. I was agitated and annoyed now. The ball was now slowly making it's way across the river. We had lost valuable time just because some idiot decided to touch the surface of the ball without inspecting it first. As I jetted off over the river, there was chaos breaking out on the Golden Gate bridge as the shadow of the ball loomed overhead. Cars were speeding out of the city, and people were running, with the exception of a few people standing still, with their phones in the air. Typical. When in threat, hold your phone in the air. Top tip.

Another flash of lightning overhead. More screams. More time lost. The sunny sky over San Francisco was slowly turning grey and dark. Storm clouds were moving in, faster than usual. I knew this wasn't all down to nature. It looked like one of those natural disaster movies, where it's the end of the world. The beginning of the end.

No.

We were going to prevent this.

We were goddamn superheroes, for God's sake.

I approached the serum ball again, circling it. We need to break the force field. Blaze Boy shot up behind me and joined the circling.

"Fire anything you can at the forcefield. Make it weak!" I yelled, receiving a nod from Blaze Boy. I flew down to the bridge, scanning the chaos for a certain fast guy. As I landed on the bridge's busy pavement, Quicksilver appeared infront of me.

"What's the plan, Aqua Girl?" He asked, still smirking at me. I wanted to do nothing else than smack that smirk from his face. But this wasn't the time. Crash! Another bolt of lightning lit up the sky. The air was beginning to feel heavy. He was here.

"Get eyes on ElectroNite. Let me know when you see him, for now? Clear the ball's path of civilians!" I declared, before taking off again and leaving Quicksilver to do his tasks. He was gone in a blur of silver jacket. I zoomed back up to the serum ball, where Blaze Boy was firing flames directly at the top of the ball.

"The force field is powered from the top! There's more energy up here!" Blaze Boy shouted, causing me to fly up to where he was levitating. Sure enough, there was a loud buzz from the top of the ball, this must be the source of the force field.

"Water and electricity don't mix, so let's try it!" I yelled, rising a few more meters to distance myself from the slowly moving ball. Once Blaze Boy was beside me, I fired with all the strength that I could at the force field's core. It began to glow under the strength of my surge of water.

"Keep going!" Blaze Boy shouted, encouraging me. It was working. As I continued firing torrents of water at the ball, I quickly turned around to find we were nearly reaching the water side of the city. With one final push, I felt a new stream of energy flowing into my body. I screamed loudly as I fired with more power than I have ever done so before at the ball. There was a moment of silence, before the ball imploded on itself with a loud crack of electricity, and I was thrown backwards with force. As my eyes began to close, and I felt my body falling back to the ground, I saw the faint outline of purple dissolving in the massive river, and the distinct sound of lightning echoing through my eardrums...

A/N: Hello my fellow readers! We're nearing the end of this book, but I've now decided (with your help) that the sequel will still be continuing with Cass's life! So, we have one final chapter after this one, then I'll take a quick break, but I'll be leaving you with special previews and possibly fanart of the next book! Stay safe out there, and have a great day/night! :)