22

They're compact and I can tell they will fit inside the Fault-line, but with full cloaking and faster-than-light travel, that wouldn't be necessary. Unless they are planning on dominating the entire Galaxy. The surface of the ship isn't smooth, cast in random geometric patterns for some form of time travel device. Thoughts come to my mind and I can't shake the feeling I'm imagining something now which is creating itself in the past. I'm having a thought in the future which I hadn't imagined several years ago, and the effects of that thought have already come to pass. My mind balks at the implications, like dwelling on infinity, it is an exercise in futility.

Intuitively, I know the capabilities of the ships below, because I imagined them in my mind many years ago. They are a standard design in an unpublished manuscript at the bottom of my slush pile, but somehow, they have made their way into the hands of the Baird.

"Oh, crap," I exhale. I've been holding my breath this entire time, and now I cough, choking on my own spit.

"What's wrong?" asks Natalie.

"The Baird have created a cross between the gravity drive of a green ship and a solid state infinite gyroscope which not only reduces the mass of the ship, but bends space obediently. With that folding, the ship travels an unimaginable distance in a very short time. The velocity is approaching infinity, and with that, the Baird aliens have mastered time travel."

"Of course, they have," she grimaces through a mouth full of grubs. She's waiting patiently for me to work out the story in my head. How does she know what I'm thinking?

"Are you clairvoyant? Can you read my mind?" I ask.

She smiles, the way a woman does when she wants something. A man is hard pressed to resist that smile. "The mind of a man isn't that complicated, David. You're trying to comprehend something your imagination can't even create."

"Exactly," I say, noticing that Marconi has no idea what we're talking about. "Despite my mind creating this reality, it has been evolving on its own without my input. How can it do that?"

"How can it not do that," says Natalie. "Your brain is finite and the Galaxy and Universe are nearly infinite. Even if you placed your thoughts on every star for but a moment, you would run out of time before you touched on them all. It's only natural to assume the creation process extends beyond your thoughts or we wouldn't exist."

vote and comment please!