Chapter 42

The auditorium of Vincent Highschool doesn't look at glamorous as it did the first time Kenya entered it. Even though it's brand new, it has lost it's original allure and is no longer as captivating as it once was. Maybe it's because last night's fashion show fiasco is forever etched inside her brain. The smell of paint still prevalent in her nose. Some of it is still in her hair. As she walks down the aisle of the auditorium that's vacant, other than someone kneeling on the stage desperately scrubbing the rest of the paint off the shiny wooden floor, she feels completely numb.

It's not that she isn't angry about what happened last night, of course she is, but she doesn't want to focus all her energy on the negativity in her life. The last time she did that, she hit a really low point in her life and it took her a long time to rediscover herself. She's come so far since then that taking steps backward isn't even an option at this point.

The person has their back to Kenya as they scrub, and she wants to laugh at the fact that they're really dressed in a navy colored janitor's uniform looking like they should be singing "It's a Hard Not Life" from Annie, but she keeps her serious face on and knocks on the stage twice.

He cranes his neck and looks at her with startled eyes, "Hey, you scared me."

"I bet," Climbing on to the stage she walks over to him as he gets to his feet. "Cute outfit, mind if I borrow it one day?" She jokes and he lets out a dry laugh while toying with the zipper on his jumper. Kenya looks at the paint splattered on the stage, along with her footprints leading behind the curtain, then back at him. "So what are you doing here on this nice Sunday morning?"

"I couldn't get all the paint up last night so I volunteered to come in today and finish up. Our principle loves our auditorium so---"

"Volunteered?" Kenya interrupts with raised brows, "I think you mean you didn't have a choice." She watches him scratch the back of neck and struggle to come up with something to say. The tension in his eyes is a dead give away at his discomfort, which only adds fuel to the fire. Kenya licks her lips, trying to contain the smile on her face."Alright Jayvin let's cut the bullshit, I know you did it."

Jayvin rubs his chin as if that will help him find the words he's suddenly lost. At this point she's tired of the silent treatment and can't stand not knowing what he's thinking. In a moment of rage, she shoves him and he stumbles backwards from the sudden force, catching himself before he can trip over the bucket of soapy water behind him. Kenya pushes him again and he lets her, not even trying to stop her. She pushes him again and again, tiring herself out but feeling the satisfaction of shoving him around. All her anger goes into each push and the only thing he does is let his head hang downwards, unable to look her in her eyes.

With a final shove, Kenya takes a minute to catch her breath before speaking. "Since you don't know how to talk all of a sudden, let me help you," She pants out, "Eli came to my house last night and told me you did it. I didn't believe him, I thought he was just being an ass and trying to get under my skin. But then Mrs. Olivia called me and confirmed that it was you. She told me you'd be here today cleaning up the mess that you made." She pauses when he finally makes eye contact with her. His eyebrows are scrunched together like he's confused.

"Eli told you?" He asks.

Her eyes slant even more, "That's all you have to say?" She shoves him again and this time he holds his ground, barely moving an inch. That only makes her more frustrated but she holds herself together. "Why did you do it?"

Knowing she's not going to drop the topic any time soon and not wanting to risk being shoved off the stage, Jayvin finally gives in. "Because I wasn't going to sit around and let you use me any more than you already had." He snaps at her, balling his hands into fist. "Friday night I had to give Kyree a walk through of the show since he was going to be hosting it. I've been friends with Eli for a few years now so me and Kyree are cool. I mentioned that my girlfriend was going to be in the show and of course he was curious about who it was. At the time, I didn't know that you were his ex, so after I told him a little about you I was surprised when he said y'all had a bad breakup and you threw a rock through his shop window."