Chapter 27

Faith throws open the door excitedly and practically yanks Simone into the house with a bright smile on her face, her eyes filled with joy as she welcomes her into her home. "I've been wanting to have you over for the longest but you're always so busy." She says.

Simone doesn't have the heart to tell her that she's only free because Eli cancelled on her at the last minute and decided to go to a party with Justin. She was already half-way to Eli's house and didn't feel like turning around and going home, so she called up Faith to see if she wanted to hang out for the day and she quickly agreed.

"Sorry about that." Simone apologizes. She hasn't hung out with Faith since the party last Saturday and that was only for a few minutes. Even during school, they only have one class together and then an hour for lunch which flies by before they go their separate ways.

"Don't apologize, I know how fun it can be to hang out with Kenya." Faith insists, leading her through the living room and down the hallway to her room. "Not to mention how busy you've been with Eli."

Simone giggles at the sly smirk Faith throws at her over her shoulder. They walk into her room that's painted a light blue and has one of those sparkly chandeliers hanging over her bed like something she found in Claires. Her desk and wardrobe are white to match the small shag carpet in front of her bed, that's made up with a fluffy floral blanket. Her room is organized and pristine like something right out of IKEA.

"You can put your shoes over there," Faith points to a rack of shoes under a window. Simone nods and unlaces her sneakers, walking over and placing them on the rack before joining Faith on her bed.

"Oh, you have a fish." Simone says, eyeing the round fish tank positioned on top of one of her white shelves. A blue beta fish swims slowly around the tank, occasionally ducking into the fake grass and peeking out.

Faith looks at the tank like a proud mom, "Yup, her name is Mystic."

"Pretty," Simone admires.

"Enough about my fish," Faith bounces around on the bed, "What's going on with you and Eli?"

Simone looks up at the ceiling, fighting a smile. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh please, I see the way he looks at you." Faith wiggles her eyebrows, "He looks at you like you're the prey and he's the predator."

"Please don't word it like that." Simone scrunches up her face.

Faith smacks her arm, "I'm serious, what's going on?"

Simone wishes she could tell Faith everything. It would be so much easier to explain things if she knew about the project, but Kenya made it very clear that no one can know about it until it's already completed.

"Honestly, not much. We've kissed a couple of times but things aren't serious or anything. We're keeping it casual." Simone tells her, which is true. They are keeping things casual, but only for the project. And because Eli's a DOG, a fact made very clear by Kenya.

"How are you so strong?" Faith questions, "Most girls would be claiming Eli left and right, giving themselves the title of Mrs. Hall and claiming they're going to be together forever. But you...you're just so calm."

Simone shrugs her shoulders, "I'm just having fun."

"Are you messing with other boys too?"

"What do you mean?"

The expression that takes over Faith's face is one that makes Simone suddenly feel dumb for asking a simple questions. Faith scoffs and holds her hands wide. "Hello? Eli has a different girl on his arm every hour of the day. I don't see you boo'ed up with anyone but him."