Chapter 10

Glasses have always been used as a fashion accessory for Kenya and as she snatches off her vintage John Lennon inspired glasses and furiously rubs them on her shirt, she's suddenly convinced that she might have to schedule an eye exam because there's no way she's actually seeing what she thinks she's seeing right now.

Walking down the hallway hand in hand are Camille and Justin like they didn't just have a big fight two days ago. She's grinning up at him with stars in her eyes as he struts down the hallway like he has a trophy wife hanging on his arm. Kenya doesn't know whether to be upset or disgusted at the sight in front of her. One thing she shouldn't be is surprised, but after the way Camille looked so defeated the other day she thought that their relationship would finally come to the end. However, looking at them now, it seems Justin was true to his word when he said they weren't over. Now Kenya is standing here looking a damn fool.

The love birds approach them and the smile on Camille's face falters a bit as she looks sheepishly at Kenya. "Don't give me that look," She pleads.

"What look?" Kenya feigns ignorance as she puts her glasses back on and glances at Justin.

He smiles at her before turning his head towards Camille, "I'll be at my locker," He plants a kiss on her cheek before winking at Kenya and walking away. As soon as he's out of ear shot, Kenya explodes.

"Are you kidding me!?" She exclaims, slamming her locker shut. "Camille I thought you were done with him."

"In my defense, I never said I was done with him." Camille says with big eyes, "We talked things over and he apologized and promised me he would buy me a brand new necklace."

"It wouldn't be the first time he's made a promise he can't keep." Kenya snaps with a shake of her head.

Camille sighs, "You don't understand, Kenya."

"Obviously," She snorts, "I stood up for you, I was your voice when you two weren't talking yesterday. I told him that if he really wanted to see you happy then he would leave you alone, why do you keep letting him treat you like this?"

Now Camille's eyes narrow, giving her that intimidating look that usually scares people off. Her cold eyes shoot daggers right into Kenya. "Justin told me everything you said and I'm just wondering who gave you the right to do that. He's my boyfriend, we go through hard times but we get over it. You're my best friend and all but you don't just call off my relationship."

"He makes you act stupid," Kenya blurts the words before she can think about holding them in and hurt registers across Camille's face. Kenya reaches for her arm, "I didn't mean---"

"Yes you did," Camille cuts her off, taking a step back, "and it's ok. I don't need or want your approval of what Justin and I have, but if you were really my friend you'd be happy for me. I was miserable for the past two days and now I'm happy again, isn't that what matters most?"

Kenya doesn't say anything and looks everywhere but at Camille. She doesn't want to lie to her, but she doesn't want her to think she's ok with the way Justin treats her either. So instead of digging a deeper hole for herself she decides to be the bigger person. "I'm sorry for intervening, I'll be sure to mind my own business next time."

Camille tilts her head to the side, her face softening. "Kenya---"

"I'll see you at lunch," She gives a small smile then walks around her to get to class on time. Arguing with Camille always leaves her feeling rotten on the inside. They're supposed to be best friends, she doesn't like leaving things on a bad note but sometimes they just don't see eye to eye. Kenya has never been the type to hold her tongue for anyone and that gets her in trouble a lot of the time. Especially with Camille who doesn't like to be wrong about anything.