Chapter 40

"This is so exciting!" A girl who has taken a liking towards Kenya in the past hour that they've been rehearsing for the fashion show says. She introduced herself as Marisol when they first arrived at the school and she hasn't stopped talking since then. She's a nice girl, petite with a large quantity of curly brown and blonde hair and bold red lipstick. She's bubbly and loves to make people smile, but her mouth just keeps on running with no breaks in between. Kenya wonders how she even has time to breathe.

"Your designs look so cool by the way, I definitely have to cop a rhinestone fanny pack one day it's so funny because a couple years ago if we were to wear a fanny pack we'd be bullied so hard but now it's like a hot item isn't it funny how trends die out and then repeat themselves I have a picture of my mom wearing a fanny pack back in the day it's so funny I'll probably look just like her when I wear one...."

Kenya tunes her out and looks around. They're standing backstage with five other designers, waiting for the volunteer models to finish up their dry run of the stage. Everyone's outfits are so different and really impressive; they're so good that Kenya has started doubting her own ideas. Take Marisol for example, she decided to go with a futuristic theme. Her outfits consist of a lot of metallic colors, translucent pieces and big gaudy glasses that the models can barely see out of.

Donovan, another competitor, went with a more upscale and posh look. His outfits have a lot of sweater vests, ties, trench coats and chino shorts. The way he can mix and match dressy and casual to create a new dynamic is professional level designing and Kenya isn't sure if her 90s inspired collection can stand up against it.

The director of the show, Mrs. Olivia, walks backstage and holds up her obnoxious megaphone that she really doesn't need, shutting up Marisol in the middle of her babbling. "The show starts in half and hour, so please change in to the outfits you're going to wear for the night. I also have a surprise for you guys but you won't know about it until five minutes before the show starts so be here on time before the curtain goes up." She makes a big show of looking around at all seven contestant, giving them warning eyes, before walking away to tend to last minute details for the show.

"Wow this is really happening like for real happening I hope the show goes well and everyone likes my concept because it took me five-ever to think of something different but also interesting you know? I got the idea when I was watching that old Disney Channel movie Zenon you remember that one it had that girl in it and Raven-Symone I love me some Raven actually she's the one that made me get into fashion design because on her show she was always designing cool outfits and she inspired me to start making my own clothes ugh if I ever met her I'd tell her she's my idol and---"

"Raven Symone is crazy in the head just like you Marisol, no wonder you like her so much." Donovan interrupts as he passes by, grabbing her arm in the process. "Come on, we need to get dressed."

"Oh right!" Marisol agrees, bouncing along beside him. Donovan looks over his shoulder and mouths 'you're welcome' to Kenya. She laughs and mouths thank you before walking over to her designated area and grabbing her outfit for the night off the chair. She decided to match the theme of her collection and settled on a tight red crop top with an oversized navy jumpsuit and black combat boots. Her twists are half up and half done, adorned with a red bandana tied around her head. In her ears are heavy gold hoop earrings that she found in her mom's jewelry box last night.

After changing behind the little screen provided for the models, Kenya uses the back door to leave the stage and go out into the lobby. People buzz around the lobby, grabbing snacks from the food station and chatting with each other. She looks around for a familiar face, but there's so many people packed in to the small lobby that it's hard to get a good view of everyone. Her phone buzzes with a text and she looks to see its from her mom.