Chapter 14

"This is so sad," Kenya watches the riots going on across the country, a result of the unjustified killing of more black men by police officers. It happened within hours of each other and sparked outrage across the states. At this point, it's nothing new to hear that another African American has been shot and killed by a cop solely because of the color of their skin, but the fact that it's still happening every single day still makes her heart ache each time she sees another name as a hashtag. It should no longer be called police brutality, it should simply be called terrorism, but because the officers aren't Muslim the media wouldn't dare label white men as terrorist.

"When will it stop?" Camille whispers, a solemn expression on her face. They were channel surfing, looking for something good to watch during their sleepover at Kenya's house, when they stopped on a news report regarding the protest happening in different states. There's one happening in New York right now and if she could, Kenya would drive up there to join them. Her mother would never allow it though, the last protest she participated in resulted in a lot of chaos and the police began putting people in handcuffs. Kenya wasn't afraid of them, she was too pissed off to be afraid of being thrown into the back of a police car. Camille convinced her that they should leave and Kenya could see the fear in her eyes. She was terrified of what they would do to her in police custody, afraid of becoming another statistic. So Kenya agreed and together they were able to push their way through the street filled with protestors and police and make it safely to the car where they returned home. Her mother was waiting for them on the porch when they pulled into the driveway and she hugged both of them with tears flowing down her face. Since then, she hasn't been allowed to participate in another protest. Not because her mother didn't agree with it, but because she was afraid of something horrible happening to her in the midst of it.

Kenya changes the channel to a rerun of Vampire Diaries, "I can't watch anymore," She says staring at the TV but not really paying attention to anything that's happening on the show.

"Yeah, me either." Camille agrees and looks over at her. They're curled up on the couch with a big bowl of popcorn and m&ms between them. The air conditioning makes the room feel chilly, so they're sharing a fluffy red blanket that her grandmother knitted her for Christmas a few years ago. "You should call Simone, make sure she's ok."

Kenya nods and unlocks her phone, glancing at the time as she does. It's 8:00 which means she should either be leaving New York or at least on her way home by now. She dials her number and waits a few minutes for her to answer.

"Hello?" Simone chirps in to the phone, her voice is light and airy like she's having the time of her life.

"Hey, I'm just calling to check up on you. Are you ok?" Kenya can hear music playing in the background and the sound of Eli laughing.

A door closes and the background noise is gone. "We're finishing up this last round of pictures and then I'm out of here." She says, "Are you ok? You sound worried."

"There's some riots going on in New York and I just wanna make sure you're safe." She breaths out, clenching the phone in her hand.

"I'm ok, thanks for checking in on me." Simone tells her, "I'm having fun, I can't wait to tell you guys about it tomorrow. Camille was right, Kyree is fine as hell. Woo!" Kenya rolls her eyes but doesn't say anything and Simone picks up on her uncomfortable silence, "Sorry."

"It's fine," Kenya rests her hand on her cheek and sighs, "I'm glad you're having fun. Be safe, ok? And text me when you're home so I know you got there ok."

There's a knock on the door and some muffled talking before Simone comes back on the line. "I've gotta go, but thanks again and I'll text you as soon as I'm home. Bye!" She quickly hangs up and Kenya tosses her phone to the side. She digs her hands into the bowl of popcorn and m&ms and shoves a handful into her mouth.