Chapter 32

A knock at the front door provides Kenya with a much needed distraction. She'd been working hard at putting together her pieces for the fashion show all day and her fingers are beginning to cramp up.

With a thumb in her mouth to suck on the spot she pricked herself with a pin, Kenya opens the door and a wave a disappointment washes over her. She isn't sure who she was expecting, but it definitely wasn't James of all people.

"Good evening," He greets with a goofy smile on his face.

"How do you know where I live?" She blurts out.

"I asked Simone," He replies trying to step into the house, but Kenya blocks him with her body.

Taking in his lime green shirt and American flag printed shorts, she resists the urge to slam the door in his face. "Well why are you here?"

"I feel like I'm not contributing to the project enough. I wanna be more involved. Give me a task to do." He says.

Kenya places a hand over her heart, "Look at you trying to be all helpful and what not. That's so sweet." She coos sarcastically, "But I don't think we need your services anymore. Thanks for all the help though." She tries to close the door but James sticks his foot in the way to prevent it from shutting.

"You can't shut me out that easily, Kenya. I know the whole plan, remember? I could easily leak it if I wanted to." He warns with a cunning smile.

She narrows her eyes at him, "Look, I don't know what you want me to do. I didn't exactly create this project with you in mind."

"I've already proven how helpful I can be. The phone trick at lunch? It worked, Eli bought it and now he thinks there's actually a person named Mason crushing on Simone. Isn't that good?" He asks.

"Yeah too good," She mutters under her breath.

James tilts his head to the side, "What do you mean?"

"Well Simone came with me on a bowling date with Jayvin last night and he brought a friend along named Alejandro. And of all people to show up at the bowling alley, Eli shows up with some girl from school and assumed that Alejandro was Mason. So now he's put a face to the name." She explains in a rush, shaking her head.

"Didn't see that coming," James strokes his naked chin as if there was a beard there, "What we need is another angle."

"Like?" Kenya wonders, leaning her head against the doorframe.

James snaps his fingers like a lightbulb just went off in his head. "Let me pretend I have a crush on Simone. That will drive Eli crazy."

Kenya eyes him, "Yeah? Would you really be pretending?"

"Ha ha," He rolls his eyes, "Simone's not my type."

"Beautiful, funny, and smart isn't your type?" Kenya questions, "Is it because she's not into comic books?"

James shoves his hands into his pockets, "I didn't come here for you to rank me for my preference in girls. I came here to brainstorm."

"Sorry it's a force of habit," She giggles. "Alright so what's the plan?"

"I just told you. To woo Simone and make it seem like I like her. Eli will definitely fight for her if he thinks I like her and she likes me." He tells her.