Chapter Three: For the Love of Clarey

Comenzar desde el principio

            “Wake up guys! Wake up! It’s me. I’m here and you’re here and we’ve been kidnapped, which kind of sucks, but at least we’re all here.”

            Dare opened his eyes and rubbed them with chubby fists. I picked him up and buried my face in his soft, blonde hair. Then I tickled him until he was completely awake and laughing. Damn, I’d missed him. It had only been one night since I’d seen him last, but being kidnapped tends to put a new perspective on things.

            “Alana?” Even half-asleep Clarey’s voice was musical and sweet.

            “Yeah, I’m here. Get up Clarey.”

            “How did last night go? Did you get some money,” she asked wearily.

            “Well, you’re just going to have to see this one for yourself. We’re in a bit of trouble.”

            Her eyes flashed open and she crawled out of the car. Jacob followed her. His hair was messed up and his clothes were wrinkled. I hugged them both. I couldn’t help myself. Dare wriggled in my arms, so I put him down and he was off running.

            “So how did you guys get here?” I asked.

            “That depends,” Clarey replied, “Where are we?” We both looked around. I noticed the large, wooden house for the first time. It  was interesting. Instead pulling back from the house, the forest was embracing it. The steps leading up to the porch were stacks of flat stone. Dark trees curled around the corners of the house and reached to the top floor. There was even a small stream on one side. My gawking was interrupted when Clarey pointed to the wolves who were all staring at us. They had been joined by a couple dozen more. Did their Alpha call them out to watch the show?

            Clarey grabbed my hand and we walked over to them. I didn’t know why I was bothering to interact with those wolves. We would be leaving as soon as possible.

            “I’m going to pretend that you aren’t all kidnappers, but are actually civilized wolves. I’m Alana. This is Clarey and Jacob and..”  I looked around and saw Dare and Driver Dan sitting cross-legged, facing each other, playing patty cake. Okay, he may be a giant but he is officially the least scary wolf I have ever seen.

            “And that’s Dare.”

            “Why do you call him Dare,” one wolf asked, trying to make conversation.

            “Well, his name is Darren. But he’s so adventurous and gets in trouble so much that we thought Dare was a good nickname.”

            “That’s awesome! He’s a cute kid. By the way I’m Jake." He stuck out a hand. I shook it quickly.

            My other kidnapper was apparently named Charlie. I turned to Sam and saw him staring at Clarey. Clarey was staring back. They're mates, my wolf explained helpfully. When it sunk in that, I realized that this was probably the worst thing that could happen. I was tougher than Clarey and could handle walking away from my mate, but she still believed in fairytale love and it would break her heart to leave him. I wondered if we could convince Sam to come with us. No, that wouldn’t work. Even if he agreed, the Alpha probably wouldn’t let him go.

            I looked around and saw the Alpha talking quietly to a beautiful girl with black hair. As if they could feel me staring, they both looked up. I noticed that their faces were similar and they both had gray eyes. She was he sister.

            The Alpha smirked at me and walked over. I yanked on Clarey’s sun dress. That was our code for “Get me out of this.” She didn’t do anything. I pulled again and glanced at her. She was still staring at Sam, in a trance.

            “So, Alana was it? You seem to be making yourself comfortable with my pack.” His voice was deep and smooth. I met his eyes.

            “I was just being polite. We are leaving as soon as possible. You can keep your pack. I don’t want them.”

            “But careful what you say,” he replied softly, “Your family might not agree.” We both looked at Clarey, still in a trance.

            “She’ll see reason,” I said angrily, “Besides, Sam is too old for her. She’s only fifteen.” I could hear the panic entering my voice.

            “Alana, please,” Sam broke in fiercely, “I won’t take advantage of her. I couldn’t. I’ll take care of her.”

            Sam, Clarey and the Alpha stared at me, waiting for my answer. How could this have gotten so messed up so quickly? Last night I was a rogue, wild and free. I looked at the two of them and nodded once. Clarey hugged me tightly. She started to hug Sam, but then pulled back shyly. He smiled down at her and pulled her into a hug. I sighed.

            “Looks like you’ll be sticking around,” the Alpha said, smirking.

            “Yeah, I guess," I answered, "Until I can convince Sam to leave your stupid pack.” 

            He laughed. “I'm Damien, the Alpha, and you, little rogue, are my Luna. You'll never leave."

          I watched my sister meeting her mate and my brothers playing with the giant and I was afraid he was right. This pack was already stealing the only thing that mattered to me.