chapter seven

As a man, no, as a very handsome, well-built, wealthy man, it was an insult to be forced on a date. The fact that the date in question was a meek, uptight, prudent woman didn't help soothe his anger. But of course his sister would never let him off the hook leaving him with the only inevitable choice left; taking Gabrielle Geek Oliver on a date.

Leon didn't hate Gabby, no. Matter of fact he liked her, but only like he would a buddy. He'd maybe invite her to bowls or chess, but a date? He didn't think so.

He had a type and his sister's best friend didn't rhyme with it. He preferred his women willowy, flawless, outgoing, vibrant, ambitious...

"Ouch!"

He moved on reflexes and caught the falling human form. A feminine scent hit his nostrils and he wouldn't have been Leon if he didn't relish in it.

He'd decided to take a walk after dinner if only to shake himself off the thought of dating his sister's best friend. He hadn't expected anyone to be in those parts of Mountain Green but he couldn't have been more wrong.

"Um, I'm sorry. I hadn't meant to run this far." The woman he already recognized apologized tucking her hair back to the head band.

He didn't respond. From the very moment he laid his eyes on her, he couldn't seem to not stare. He remembered her from the housewarming party his family had hosted the past week. She'd been so beautiful in that maroon short sleeved gown. He remembered her long hair cascading down her back, he'd wondered how it would feel beneath his touch. Silken? Tough? The way her statuesque body graced the ballroom had been captivating and he'd found himself unable to look away.

The image of her on the floor when his sister attacked her was stuck in his mind. And while he wanted to disapprove Rose's actions, he knew they were justified. Also, he'd only have his head bitten off and for what? A woman who'd played a part in hurting his sister? Probably been the one who'd spiked her drink that night, inducing her miscarriage.

Leon stepped back, fists clenched on his side. Rage was building up. "What are you doing around here? You do realize you are trespassing right?" It was cool and collected.

She nodded frantically before offering her hand. "I'm Debra Sylvester, we've not been officially introduced."

He hesitated, taking her hand only when she was about to pull away. He wasn't one for chivalry. The only woman he'd ever been affectionate to besides his late mother was Rose; his sister. "You still haven't told me what you're doing in my sister's territory, Debra Sylvester."

Debra swept her hands over her frame, showing her yoga pants and sweat shirt clad body. "Jogging. The former owners, Mr and Mrs Sedgwick? Our families were close, they didn't mind us trespassing."

Leon snorted. "And you heard they'd moved back in?" The sarcasm dripped heavily.

She rolled her eyes. The man obviously thought he was hot. Yeah, he was, so what? Didn't give him the right to grill her like she was a darn criminal. The arrogant oaf!

"Lost your tongue?" He taunted sarcastically.

He was a couple inches taller so she craned her neck and glared at him under the moonlight. "I was jogging okay? I didn't mean to cross to your darn lands. And just so you know I have brains, I know the Sedgwicks sold to your... your sister. I'll try to remember we have the praying mantis for a neighbour next time. Goodnight Mayor."

She was about to walk away when he grabbed her arm. "Mayor's my father..." he kissed her cheek unceremoniously, causing her to gasp. "I'm Leon." With that his silhouette walked away, the moonlight highlighting his manly features.

***

The dark firmament was carpeted with stars and a crescent moon that surprisingly emanated as much light as a full moon. The wind was rather swift but quiet as if afraid to be heard. The smell of dew filled the atmosphere pleasantly. Once again she fell madly in love with nature.

She sighed contentedly before sipping leisurely from the glass of red wine. The night caressed her body as she leaned on the guardrail of the balcony adjacent to her bedroom. From a distance, she could see the lights from Morgan's Villa.

She couldn't help but wonder what he was doing, if he was thinking about her and what exactly about her. It was well into midnight so he was probably making love to his wife. Or maybe they'd just wrapped up. No where near finishing perhaps? She gulped the gusty red wine as a surge of jealousy suffused through her, gnawing her heart brutally.

She had no reason to feel jealous or any other emotions towards Morgan, except for anger. Anger for introducing her to love and all it entailed with malicious intentions; anger for treating her like dirt; anger for his family's humiliations and degradation; anger for claiming her and committing to another. Most especially, she was angry at him for having a child with another woman whilst hers died before she began living.

A tear trickled down her cheek but barely flowed before her thumb brushed it away furiously. Every year she counted just how old her child would have turned. She would have been ten already, only that she had been denied the chance to live by someone she would have called grandmother and whoever else knew of that God-awful evilness.

"Couldn't sleep?"

She shook her head scowling the glistening tears away. "No. What are you doing here at this ungodly hour Warren?"

There wasn't a forthcoming answer for a fleeting second. She swirled around only to end up flush against him. "Warren_"

He placed a gentle lingering kiss on her forehead whilst taking the wine glass from her hand. The silk robe was glacial, an aftermath of what he knew were hours of freezing in the cold.

He pulled away but kept his hand on the small of her back. "You'll catch something if you keep freezing yourself like that." He scolded leading her into the warmth of the room.

Of course Warren would drive all the way from his townhouse to come save her from the cold. He was well knowledgeable of her untreatable insomnia. Still, she didn't want to lead the poor man on. "Warren I_"

He ignored her and went to shut the double doors of the balcony. When he returned back to her, he wordlessly divested himself of his jacket, watch, belt and shoes.

"Bed." He commanded.

Rose trusted him, wholeheartedly. She climbed the huge four-poster bed, careful not to rip open her short silk robe. She silently watched him tuck the comforter over her body before he joined her. The mattress dipped at his weight as their scents mingled significantly.

Warren spooned her to his warm body after switching off the bedside lamp. "Comfortable?" He confirmed softly.

"Hmm."

He smiled against her forehead, her breath fanning his neck where she nuzzled like a child. "Now sleep, goodnight Rose."

"Goodnight Warren." Was her groggy response before she drifted off to deep dreamless slumber.

***
A/N

Hey! So yeah, this is even more confusing, perhaps. Warren is Rose's long time best friend, their relationship is utterly platonic unless you dear readers think otherwise. He's also her lawyer...

Debra is a...umm, let's say a bad, bad character who's caught the attention of an equally bad man: Leonard Mayor. Who happens to be Rose's brother and Rose's bff's crush... argh. Let me know if you're getting it or you need more clarification.

Remember to vote and follow and share with acquaintances. Gosh I love y'all.