chapter six

Mountain Green was endless acres of land on a hilltop with great extensions of green grass, hence it's name. It's verdant environment and being contiguous to a vast lake made it quite the scenery and one couldn't blame the chaos it created amongst admirers and potential buyers when it was up for sale.

The competition, it's location and the creative way the former owner had tapped the lake water all the way to his lands so that an artificial lake collected beautifully behind the lofty mansion, had enticed Rose to buy it.

The price hadn't exactly been pocket change and Rose couldn't thank heavens enough for being amongst the privileged in life. She loved that Sylvester Meadows was next to her from the west and Villa Sylvester; where Morgan resided with his wife and daughter from her East. She was exactly where she wanted to be; the center. That way she was able to keep an eye on them and control their lives.

"Oh my God." Gabrielle whispered completely taken aback.

The night was filled with the music created by the creatures of the night soothing the mild atmosphere. The Chinese paper lanterns aligned along either side of the pavement provided just the perfect lighting in the place. Ahead was an ebony dining table of about twelve and atop was what looked like a royal feast.

"You like it?" Rose grinned knowingly.

"You just had to go the extremes didn't you?" Gabrielle asked not taking her eyes off the magnificent view.

"It's a perfect Eden for a Rose." Was Rose's sing song.

What took Gabrielle's breath away were the lit candles floating above the manmade lake and for a moment she thought she wasn't on earth. Someone clumped her chin and she realized she'd been staring with her jaw dropped.

"Careful geek, we wouldn't want you swallowing flies would we?"

She swatted his hand away. "Flies?" She huffed. "Flies don't exist in this part of the world, Leonidiot."

Leon's eyes darkened menacingly, his height towering over her. "What. Did. I. Say. About. That. Name?"

Gabrielle's brain scrambled for an answer but came forth with none. The man had that effect on her since the first time they met through Rose, his sister. She and Rose had met in university and had immediately clicked. Rose was one of the rich kids that didn't act like it and Gabrielle being on a scholarship hadn't many friends. Later as their friendship solidified, Rose had told her about her life as a Sylvesters' maid and the events that had led her to her family. They'd been searching for her since she was two, finding her at eighteen. Rose had been her only true friend and they'd visit each other a lot. It was during one of those visits she'd met Leonard.

Being the clumsy almost blind glutton she was, she'd stumbled into him in the kitchen where she'd been raiding their fridge, with permission. Still the idiot had called her a thief, sneaky mouse and had finally settled on geek after realizing her glasses were like a treasured permanent accessory. For such a thoughtless, idiotic conclusion, she and Rose had found him the moniker he so warned them about. While Rose caved she stood her ground. Leonard was an idiot. An idiot she crushed on, badly. Which made him a bigger idiot. Leonidiot.

"Are you deaf too?" He snapped impatiently. "With the way you're ogling I'll start thinking you like me geek."

"You're an insensitive, thoughtless, egocentric idiot. Leonidiot. That combination isn't just my type." She glared at him her arms crossed over her chest, desperately attempting to keep at bay the perilous throbbing in her heart. She prayed he didn't hear it.

"I told you to quit calling me Leonidiot!" He groaned with exasperation.

"And I told you I won't quit. Get out of my way. I'm hungry." She made to brush past him but he gripped her hand. "What!" She spat.