chapter two

The buzz around was that the wealthy Mountain Green owners were an elderly couple. The ridiculous presumptions only served as humour for Rose Mayor. However, the more ignoramus the people remained the more entertaining and productive her debut grand entrance would be. She'd always enjoyed the minor victories, this however was exceptionally a major one and their priceless expressions once they saw her were well worth her right arm.

Standing at the full-length mirror, she couldn't help shower laudatory to the reflection. Her emerald sleeveless mermaid gown embraced her hourglass figure appreciatively, capturing tightly the bulging voluptuous curves. The neckline formed a lacy escarpment between her breast exposing the valley between the pert mounds. The bodice clung to the flat abdomen before attaching itself to a continuous lacy fabric hugging her hips and eventually spreading cleverly into a ball of frills around her feet.

The lustrous emerald gem earrings matched the necklace adorning her long neck. Her hair was gathered atop her head in a loose bun, it went perfectly with her dark eye makeup and a deep shade of maroon lipstick.

"Perfect." A sonorous voice whispered, the compliment meant only for her.

She acknowledged him without turning around, her slender fingers toyed with the oval pendant of the gem necklace. "Warren." She swirled around finding him in suggestive proximity.

Warren took her hand and brushed a lingering kiss on her knuckles. "You'll be killing them tonight. You're absolutely stunning." He complimented smiling at her, his eyes trained on her showy cleavage.

"My, Warren. One would mistake us for lovers, rather than a client and her lawyer." She smirked, her perfect brows furrowed in faux confusion.

He chuckled and rubbed his thumb on her velvety cheek. "Aren't we at least friends my lovely client? Archibald did trust me to escort you downstairs."

"That's because my father thinks I'll need a lawyer after I commit genocide with the unbridled shock I'll be sending their way." Her smirk was devious and sultry simultaneously.

This time Warren laughed, a deep hearty laugh meant to weaken the daughters of Eve in the knees and desire to serve his every whim. He smirked as he tested the texture of her earring before averting his gaze to her eyes. "I know you'll never admit to the other and main factor, lovely Rose."

Rose liked Warren. He'd always been there for her professionally and as a friend and therefore she trusted him completely. But aside from that, she'd never been able to think of him romantically. Theirs was a treasured camaraderie. Admittedly, the man was attractively fiery but Rose was an ice queen. A man's fire would never melt her, they did the irrevocable damage themselves. She leaned closer to him as if to kiss him, instead she whispered. "I have bubbles to burst Mr Gregory, let's get down to business."

Warren hooked her hand in the crook of his elbow and they made for the door. That's exactly what Rose liked about the man, he understood the difference between playtime and game over.

***

Mountain Green's ballroom was a sight to behold. It was colossal and voluminous with delicate yet dominant decor. Six pillars cemented in sculptured lion's mouth pedestal, stood erect from the corners and edges of the floor to the high ceiling. The purple wallpaper was spiced with a dainty gilding line every half the wall. An enormous crystal chandelier dangled from the high ceiling whose cream colour matched the tiled floor.

Filled to capacity with elegantly dressed guests of the high class stratum, it was animated and perky. Electing the best wardrobe of the night was itself unfeasible. Uniformly dressed waitresses went round distributing drinks of all variety. People milled about mingling, chattering and simply making merry as a soothing melody from the orchestra's assortment of instruments hovered the mild atmosphere.