Chapter 21 -- Soubresaut

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Are you all right?" Elaine watched where my eyes has lingered, then turned back toward my way.

"I'm fine," I whispered, afraid that if I spoke any louder, I'd forget it all again. "I think I just...I'm uncomfortable"

Elaine grinned and nodded as she patted my leg. "That was how I felt years back. It's weird having Michelle around but you'll get used to it." I shrugged to cover up my own discomfort. This was definitely not the time or place to be starting this sort of conversation. I hadn't even adjusted to the last time things had gone down this path.

"Besides, Darren's always there oh" She glanced up at Darren and smiled.

"Adrian's being master drunkard again. Flip, Sip or Strip daw sabe niya. Remember that?"

It was a game we used to do back in high school where you Flip a coin and while it is in the air, call heads or tails. If a player guess it right, the player should pass the coin to his right. Otherwise (if wrong), The player should pass the coin to his left and would pay the consequence, either take one article of his clothing-- anything that is a pair counts as one item or take a shot.

If the player guess right three times in a row, he may retrieve an article of clothing and put it back on. The coin is then passed to his right.

There was a pause and I realized Elaine was still waiting for me to accept her invitation. "Well," I heard myself say, not quite believing that it was me saying the words. "I don't mind. It would be nice"

I pulled a face as I stared at Darren beside me "Sali ka, Darren"

Elaine gave an earnest nod and I laughed, bumped her hip - or rather, the muscle below her hip - with mine. We walked straight to the living room where a loft that overlooked the sea and I knew pool tables filled the loft area.

It was quieter up there, allowing for more conversation or game playing. There was even the old fire pole in place near the balcony. Around the open space were tall tables, chairs and stools lining a half bar along another wall.

"Oh.. Walang KJ okay?"

"Lakas ng apog natin ah? Last time I checked, you always ended up wasted" Adrian hollered over Dennis. Ted, who sat next to Elaine raised his eyebrows at Dennis and smirked. I, on the other hand, had to laugh at that.

Dennis glared at Adrian for a minute before grunting and pushing himself up from the couch. He sat across Tippy as he snorted "That was years ago, Dude." Dennis' tone was dry but not annoyed. "Get it over your head"

Liz rolled her eyes but couldn't keep from smiling but her face fell the moment her eyes met Darren's. She looked down with a blush. When she looked back up, Darren was still looking at her while leaning close to me again.

"Whatever you say" Adrian shrugged and then pulled a dime on his palm.

"You brought all these on your own?" Ted uttered in disbelief as he gestured to the drink on our table. The brown rattan-glass coffee table was filled with expensive drinks and flutes. Dalmore 62,Legacy by Angostura and Vielle Bon Secours ale, Adrian's favorite Belgian beer.

Adrian just shrugged his shoulder and then turn to everyone with a smile "Who's in?"

"We're in" It was Michelle

As she said this, I noticed some of the light fade from my perpetually sunny face. The words threw me and I didn't have a ready response. I tried to be tame with my reaction because I could feel them sending me a look I couldn't even return.