Chapter 23 ○ Confession

Grace's POV

I needed to tell Edward what has been happening. I can't keep him in the dark. James cannot do this to me, I need to let someone know if anything happens to me. "James has been..." Edward sat down next to me ignoring the tea kettle and looked at me with a genuinely upset expression. My head was pounding.  

I didn't want to tell him. He was shot and the love of his life died. I didn't want to put another burden on him. "Are you sure you want to know? It's dramatic news, I don't know if you are ready to hear it." His left eye twitched but after he blinked for a few times it stopped. "Tell me, how bad can it be?" That was a debatable statement. "...He has been hitting me." His face turned red with anger. 

"Really? Why on earth would he be doing that?" Tears started to fall from my eyes. I didn't know why he was, and my only guess was because of me spending so much time with Edward. "Maybe he thinks I am cheating on him with you. He's so annoying." His face turned even redder, and the tea kettle started whistling so loud I had to cover my ears. Edward ran over to the kettle and removed the kettle from the stove, all the while getting two small china tea-cups and pouring the tea in. "Do you want sugar?" 

I held up one finger to show him I wanted one sugar cube. He sat back down and put the tea-cups down on the table in front of us. "I'll take care of him, don't worry." I looked up at him, what did he mean by saying that he would take care of him? "Edward, what do you mean?" He chuckled slightly but stopped when he realized I was being serious. "U-Uh, ignore what I just said." He pushed his glasses upwards on the bridge of his nose.

"Please don't do anything to him, I can handle myself." I had to keep telling myself that for some reason. Why couldn't I just tell Detective Gordon what was happening? He would beat the hell out of anyone who hit their girlfriend. I guess I didn't want to see James hurt after being with him for so long.