Chapter 15 ○ Rumors

Grace's POV

A few days later, the Viper drug was determined to be destroyed. Detectives Gordon and Bullock investigated a Warehouse, the one that Potolsky told Jim about. My office was almost done, it was just being repainted. The walls were black, which wasn't the best color, but it had hidden the dents in the wall itself. The break room was split into two sections and the longer section was mine. I had a desk, some filing cabinets, and my name printed on the glass door. 

I still had to decorate it, but it looked nice so far. James had gotten me some flowers the night before, so I put them in a vase with water on my desk. They were a lovely light blue color. Hopefully, they didn't wilt too fast. While I was putting papers in the filing cabinets, Kristen came in. "Hey Grace, do you want to have lunch together in the Annex?" Kristen never asked me to have lunch, so I accepted.

"Of course, I'll be there in a few minutes." She walked away with a smile on her face, and Edward walked in after she left. "H-Hello Miss Grayson, I see you received your own office." I chuckled at him, and I closed the file cabinet. "Edward, I think we are on first name basis now, you can call me Grace." He nodded slightly and cleared his throat. "So, I heard you were accompanying Miss Kringle for lunch." I looked at him and sat down. "Yes, how did you know? Were you eavesdropping?" I wasn't mad, I just wanted to know.

"Yes, I apologize. I was going to enter but I didn't want to intrude on anything." He frowned a bit but I walked over to him and smiled widely. "Edward, don't ever feel like you are intruding, you aren't." He smiled at me and said goodbye to me. With that, I also went out the door and grabbed my lunch from the break room fridge. I'm just glad no one took mine. 

I walked into the Records Annex and Kristen was unpacking her lunch on the desk. I grabbed a chair from the corner of the room and brought it to the opposite side of the desk. "Hey Kristen, so how is your day so far?" She finished chewing her food and looked up at me. "It's okay, Mr. Nygma has been visiting me a lot, it's getting annoying." I frowned. 

"Edward is just trying to be nice, he wants you to like him." She seemed taken aback by the statement. "Mr. Nygma likes me? That's absurd." She chuckled at me, but I was not laughing. She seemed to notice this and frowned. "Are you serious? I don't like him, I hope he knows that. I hate him, he is a freak." Out of nowhere, I heard a gasp. It was from the door, and I saw the outline of a person outside. I stood up and rushed over to the door, and Edward was standing there in shock.

His hand was folded behind his back, and in his hand was a bouquet of flowers. His eyes were solemn and filled with sadness. I didn't know if he was going to cry, and I wasn't sure. Kristen continued eating and ignored him while looking up once and a while. I rubbed Edward's arm and he walked away. I saw him stop at a trash can, snap the flower stem in half and throw them in. I felt so bad, and I ran over to the lab where Edward walked, disregarding Kristen and my lunch.