Chapter 7 ○ Blame It On You

EDWARD NYGMA

I let Grace into my lab and she sat down on the cold metal chair that was in my office in front of my desk. I sat on my chair and she looked down into her lap. I took the file she had given me and skimmed through it, all while observing her.

Oh man, Eddie. Why are you "observing" this girl? Just admit what we did to her. Or you can always let me take over...

I ignored my "alter ego" and turned over to Grace who seemed to be deep in thought.

"Miss Grayson, I have to apologize about what happened at dinner. If you want, we can have supper another time." 

She let out a breath of frustration, and for some odd reason, asked me the most absurd question I thought she would ever ask.  "Edward, did you drug me at dinner or something like that? I want to know the complete and utter truth."

The words stung when I finally understood what she was asking. Then, I heard the familiar voice that I wanted to go away. 

She's onto us Eddie boy, tell her what we did, or should I say, what I did. I shouldn't put all the blame on you, should I. That would just be mean.

GRACE GRAYSON

Edward looked over at me and his smile quickly faded. His mouth slightly opened, and he tensed up. I wanted to know the truth and nothing but the truth. 

"The poor have me; the rich need me. If you eat me, you'll die. What am I?"

The riddle was easy and I knew the answer about 3 seconds after he said it "The answer is nothing. So, you did nothing to me?" He smiled and nodded, and flipped through the file some more. 

He really didn't do anything to me. I knew James was overreacting. I could trust Edward, he didn't seem like a man who would lie or do anything to harm a woman. He is different from any other police officer, detective, or anyone working in the GCPD. 

A wave of relief fell over me.

He looked back up, looked at my lips, saw my smile, and put his attention back towards the file while a small grin was painted on his face.

I guess I trust him now, and I hope he trusted me too, as a friend. I needed some new friends anyway. At least I know that there are some non-corrupt people in Gotham.

A/N

Hello! I will be dedicating chapters to new followers, so make sure to follow me for a dedication! I hope you enjoy it so far and please tell me what you think!