Chapter 18: Always

Start from the beginning

"What the hell?" she growled angrily. "Well, I am now."

Without so much as a warning, sighed again and grabbed her hand, giving it a gentle squeeze.

"If you're in pain, just tell me directly," he muttered. "There's no need to send me on some wild goose chase, trying to figure out your real intentions."

Chi clicked her tongue and shot him one more spiteful glance before squeezing back.

"I'll be fine," she insisted, running the fingertips of her free hand over his knuckles. "Please, I ask you don't worry about me."

"As I said before, I leave you for a couple of minutes and you return to me as if you were battered in a storm."

"I just slipped when I was jumping off the roof."

"Jumping off the roof? Every building in Sina is at least two stories. What the hell were you thinking?"

"You know me, Levi. I'd have made it if I just wasn't in such a hurry."

"Next time, travel by ground. That way..." He turned to Chi and traced his fingers over the bandage covering the large gash on her left cheek. "I don't have to have a heart attack every time I am reunited with you."

"Don't worry." To reassure him, she took his hand and squeezed it again, harder this time. Desperate to revert from the depressing topic, she changed the subject. "How's Eren?"

"That brat?" Levi frowned in distaste. "He's supposed to be resting, but he's probably up by now."

"Can I... can I see him?"

He quirked an eyebrow. "Doesn't matter."

She nodded and hastily pecked his cheek before waving and exiting the room. He was quite reluctant in seeing her go, with her injuries and all, but the matter looked to seem important. Walking down the corridors of the building in Sina, she ran into Armin and Jean. Both had wistful looks upon their faces, a mysterious glint in Armin's azure eyes.

"Uh, hi," Chi greeted. Armin mustered a small smile.

"Hello," he replied. Jean simply looked off into the distance, deep in thought with furrowed brows - not that anyone could really blame him for overlooking the expensive damage done to Stohess.

"Do you guys know where I could find Eren?"

"He should be in the room at the end of the hall. I think he's resting, but... he may have woken by now."

"Thank you." She bowed her head and continued walking, slightly unkempt by the strange way the two boys were acting.

'Looks like I'm not the only one unsettled by the battle,' she wondered.

Finally Chi reached the last dark wooden door, poised to knock. Just as her fist was about to contact the door, it was opened hastily. Mikasa stood on the other side, her eyes glued to the ground. She squeezed past Chi and trudged away, an empty look upon her rather beautiful face. Chi simply stared, her head tilted to the side as she wondered about Mikasa's own mental state; her nerves must've been fried after all that worrying for Eren.

Did something else happen while she was unconscious?

"Oh, Chi," came Eren's voice from the room. Chi turned and spotted him sitting upright on a bed pushed to the corner of a room, bandages wrapped around his head. On his thin lips was a weak, but warm smile.

"Eren!" she breathed, shutting the door as scampering to his side. "You're okay!" Immediately she enveloped his body in her arms, clinging onto her dear friend.

"Yeah," he answered, accepting the embrace gratefully. "At least, physically."

"What happened out there?" She pulled away and held his arm, her eyes sliding from his wrapped hands to his wrapped forehead. His face fell, a downcast glare bringing a tense atmosphere to their conversation.

"I don't know," he voiced in a whisper. "I can't even remember that well."

"What did it feel like? Your titan form?"

His shoulders rose and fell in a small shrug. "All I can remember is that I just wanted to... destroy everything. To kill Annie."

"You almost did, until Levi stopped you." His anger was replaced with regret.

"I know. I heard a bit from Mikasa and Armin. I can't..." He stared at his hands with crestfallen spirit. "I still can't control myself entirely in titan form." Dejectedly he sighed and his form slumped back as he plopped back down onto the bed. Chi put a hand on his shoulder in encouragement.

"Don't worry," she smiled. "I'm sure you'll get it in time, Eren."

"I don't think so. And so many people are..." He trailed off, but she knew exactly what he was going to say: dead. "...because of me."

"Oh, don't blame yourself!" She playfully punched his arm. He only shifted his gaze over and casted her a fearful look.

"But you don't understand, Chi. Those deaths - if I hadn't been on such a rampage, I could - I could've saved lives, not destroyed them. Now their friends and families have to go through many hardships... and end up like me."

"Oh, but I do understand, Eren," Chi said in a hollow voice, her eyes darkening. "Do you not remember Petra, Eld, Gunter, and Oluo? Levi's old squad? In fact, you watched them die, didn't you?" Eren stared at her for a few moments before nodding slowly. "Then you should know that if I hadn't became a coward and ran away outside the walls, I could've saved them. I'm responsible for their deaths. I know perfectly well how you feel right now."

Then she took his hand in her's and gave it a gentle squeeze. "That's why you should know that because I know how you feel, no matter what, I'll stand by your side always."