Chapter 20 ○ Trust

Grace's POV

I decided to have lunch with Kristen again to try to clear things up. We had lunch in her office again. "Kristen, you really hurt Edward. He was going to bring you flowers. Please, just at least give him a chance." She cleared her throat. "I guess I could give it a try. He can be weird at times but he can also be kind of sweet." I ate some more of my lunch. "He is so nice, just please make him feel happy, he really likes you, Kristen." She shrugged and drank some of her coffee.

 "Are you and Tom done?" She shook her head. "Nope, but I can't leave him. Don't tell anyone but he said he would hurt me if I..." she paused for a few moments before finishing. "...go out with anyone else if we did break up." This was against the law if he was abusing her. "Kristen, is Tom abusing you?"

She crossed her arms. "It's none of your business. So what if he is? He still loves me." I laughed at the comment. He always flirted with female workers at the GCPD. "Kristen, he flirts with all of the other women here, even me. That is not an example of love." She nodded and ate more of her food. 

Suddenly there were loud sounds outside. They sounded like gunshots. Kristen looked at me with confusion. A bullet crashed through the glass, but it didn't hit us. "Kristen, hide! I'll go outside and see what's happening." She got under the desk and turned the lights off. I slowly stepped out of the door, and immediately was frozen in my steps. 

There were officers laying on the ground, smoke everywhere, and screaming from every angle. An officer ran near me and was shot right in the chest. I couldn't move and I needed to before a bullet hit me. The bullets were starting to aim towards me. I saw someone running towards me from the side, and I was pushed to the ground. I was knocked unconscious from the fall, and it was all a blur. I heard a man laughing, obviously Jerome. There were faint gunshots on the impact of flesh, but not near me. I was scared, but I couldn't do anything, I finally blacked out.