22 | Their First Mission

• • •

    Birds chirped as Sakura woke up, stretching her sore limbs. They had gotten an order from Kakashi to meet up in the Hokage's office. She arrived just in time.

   Naruto stood there, smiling proudly and Sasuke just stood there, his hands in his pockets, accompanied by a poker face.

   Kakashi arrived right after and brought in an old man who was carrying bottles of sake. The Hokage greeted him and started off with the details. "You will be accompanying Mr. Tazuna to his village. Recently he has been getting threats from a wealthy businessman who wants him to stop constructing the bridges."

   "Why do we have to escort him? I wanted an A Rank mission!" Naruto whined.

   "Who's the small brat?" Tazuna asked snickering.

   Naruto looked confused. "Oh Sasuke?" Naruto called innocently.

   Sakura had to bite her cheek to keep from laughing. "He's talking about you , dobe" Sasuke answered back coolly.

  Naruto stood next to Sakura and realized he was the smallest in height. His face turned different shades of red. Kakashi held him back as he started cursing at Tazuna.

   Tazuna looked unamusedly at the ninjas. "How are they going to protect me?"

  Kakashi sweat dropped. "Don't worry. They are stronger then they appear."

• • •

   Naruto jumped in excitement as they neared the gates of Konoha. "I've never been out of the village!" He grabbed his snapback and ran out of the gates, his eyes dancing and absorbing everything.

   Sasuke simply rolled his eyes. Sakura however frowned. Something did not feel right and she could sense Kakashi thinking the same. They came across a water puddle.

  Sakura's eyes widened. Where did the water puddle come from? It wasn't raining. As if on cue she two men popped out. One grabbed Kakashi and his students gasped in shock.

   But Kakashi being the one who knew things beforehand, turned into a log. Sakura stood in front of Tazuna, to shield him from any harm. Sasuke began to fight with his sensei. Naruto soon joined. An overwhelming desire to fight, fled into Sakura. But she held the urge in. She had to stay here and protect Tazuna.

  They suddenly threw their chains at Naruto who watched paralyzed. Sasuke immediately  took his position and threw his kunais and shuriken to capture the chains against the tree.

      Naruto watched in shock. He kicked them both into the face. Suddenly one of them started to run towards Sakura. She quickly pulled out a kunai and guarded Tazuna.

   Her eyes widened. She started weaving handsigns as he edged closer in slow motion. She aruptly stopped when sbe saw Kakashi pulling him and his brother in a headlock; a lazy look in his eyes.

  Naruto was amazed while Sasuke had a look of disappointment because his spotlight was stolen. " What a show off."

    She had the urge to laugh out loudly because he was jealous.

    Kakashi turned toward Natuto and said. "I'm  sorry I  wasn't there in time to help you. I didnt mean for you to get hurt. I never  thought  you would freeze up like that." He then started walking dragging the two demon brothers along.

    Tazuna had a look of surprise as if he wasn't expecting them to save him. "And good job Sasuke. And you too Sakura." Naruto had a look of disbelief  on his face. Sakura could tell what he was thinking about. He was also angry because Kakashi hadn't  praised him.