The Boy Next Door- Chapter 4

Hey guys! So here's Chapter 4! Wooooo! Colby's POV will start in Chapter 5! :)

The Boy Next Door- Chapter 4

Hailey’s P.O.V.

I woke up the next day and went straight to the kitchen to eat. I was determined to get everything unpacked and convince my mom to take me to Home Depot to buy some paint. After a bowl of Cheerios and a glass of orange juice, I went up to my room and started cleaning. I moved all of the empty boxes to the hallway, and then threw them down the stairs into the living room. Brad and Mom weren't home and Ty was sleeping so I figured no one would mind. When I got to the next box I found more clothes, which I refolded and put in my dresser drawers. The next box was full of random stuff that I arranged on some of the empty bookshelves. Two more boxes to go. One had more clothes and shoes, the other had a bunch of stuff I didn't need, so I decided I would put it on the shelf in my closet. Most of it was baby stuff that my mom refused to let me throw away. I organized the stuff into some shoe boxes, then reached to put them on the shelf. Ugh. Too short again. Maybe if I jump. I jumped up, trying to reach. Not working. I looked at my phone to see what time it was. I had one text message from Colby. 

Need some help? 

I laughed and looked out my window to see Colby, laughing and watching me. Then he began to climb out the window, onto the tree in between our houses. 

"Are you crazy?" I cried out the open window as he made his way over. He climbed into my room and looked around. 

"Cool room…used to be Brad's office. I always saw him in here, working on his designs." 

I nodded. Brad was an architect. 

"So, you need help with these?" He asked, pointing to the shoe boxes. 

"Yeah, thanks." 

"No problem." He stacked them neatly on the shelf, and sat on my bed. 

"So, what are you doing today?" I asked, sitting at my desk. 

"Baseball practice." He flipped his hair out of his sparkly green eyes. 

"Sounds fun." I smiled, playing with the pens and pencils on my desk. 

"Yeah, you could come with me, if you wanted. You know, to meet some of the guys?" 

"Maybe, I'll have to ask Tyler." 

"What about your mom?" 

"She's out, with Brad." 

He nodded, looking at his phone. "I have to get going, practice starts in a half hour, call me if you can come." 

"Okay." I yawned as he climbed back out the window. 

I looked around my room before going to my dresser and grabbing a pair of ripped denim shorts and a grey v-neck. I threw the clothes on, along with my red Converse and a splash of Victoria's Secret perfume, and walked down the hall to Tyler's room. I walked in to find him on his laptop, video chatting with Becky. 

"Hey, I'm going to Colby's baseball practice." 

"Aw, it's Hailey!" Becky smiled and waved. 

"Hey!" I smiled. 

"Kay, be safe." Tyler said, obviously wanting me out of his room. I shut the door behind me and went downstairs. I took my phone out to call Colby. 

"Yes?" He answered. 

“Ty said I could go." I said, happily. 

"Awesome! Come outside." 

"Okay. I’ll be right out." 

I walked out the front door to find Colby, wearing black shorts and a dark grey t-shirt that read Grover Baseball across the front. He was wearing black Vans and a blue baseball cap with a "G" on it. I assumed the "G" stood for Grover. Colby put his bag over his shoulder and smiled. We walked to the park, making small talk along the way. When we got there, he introduced me to his friends, Carter and Wilson, while he put his baseball cleats on. After a few minutes the coach showed up, so I had to go sit on the bleachers. Colby seemed to be kind of like the coaches favorite. Maybe the best one on the team. The prized possession. I have to admit he was pretty good. He never got less than a double while hitting, and was pretty good at pitching too. After awhile, the coach had the team run a lap around the park, and then they got a water break. Colby came over and sat by me. 

"Having fun?" he asked, removing his baseball cap and running his hand through his sweaty hair. 

"Yeah, this is cool. Ty used to play baseball and he always wanted me to play with him." 

"Cool, I was hoping you wouldn’t be bored. I mean, just sitting here and all." 

"Oh, no, I'm fine!" I laughed, twirling a strand of wavy hair around my finger. 

"Good, only about 15 more minutes." He smiled, patting my leg, then jogged back onto the field.