8.

Kellin

I've always believed that true love would come easy to me, that as soon as I got away from my terrible step family I'd find him. I'd spread my wings and learn how to fly with an amazing, loving guy by my side; holding my hand tight all the way so that I never flew too far and lost who I was.

I thought that the guy I'd be with would keep me grounded, make sure I didn't get a big head or something of the sort. I'd be a star of course, but it wouldn't make me someone who I wasn't supposed to be. But now he was the only guy I'd ever wanted in my life. No other guy would ever be good enough for me because they'd never compare to Vic.

Vic was the one I wanted by my side, it was never some silly crush either. The way I feel about Vic now, it's probably how I'm always going to feel about him. I know my crush on him is ludicrous but it was how I felt. There was just something about him, he respected my pronouns, he was kind to everyone, he was grounded and just a total sweetheart.

Vic was everything I want but, he's everything I'm not.

Which was why I was going to make damn sure that he never found out that I was the one he dance with that night.

He'd be so disappointed and I didn't want that at all.

"Now, what if I filled all of her shoes with strawberry jam?" Justin asked me and I raised my eyebrows, giving my best friend a curious look.

"Just, what the fuck?" I asked, laughing a little. He and his sister had been having some weird ass prank war for the past few days and she had crossed the line and done something that pissed him off.

"Think about how pissed she'd be!" He exclaimed as we walked inside of the school building together.

"Yeah but that's a waste of a perfectly good jar of jam don't you think?" I asked, my hands wrapped around the straps of my backpack. "And strawberry jam's your favorite so it'd be kinda stupid."

Justin laughed but nodded his head, "Yeah, you've got a point there but I can't just let her win! I've never lost a prank war."

I giggled and covered my mouth, "I know you haven't but still, she's fourteen. Let her win just this one time."

"No, I am not letting her win! Hey by the way I have an idea for your November song," Justin said and I groaned a little.

"About that... there's a problem with the iPod..." I said trailing off a little.

Justin stopped walking in the middle of the hall and looked at me wide eyed, "What happened?"

I bit my lip nervously, "I may have lost it."

"You lost it!?" Justin yelled, attracting strange looks from everyone around us.

I nodded, "I uh yeah."

"Kellin Quinn Bostwick!" He shouted, glaring at me. "You had one job Missy! One fucking job!"

I groaned and covered my face, "I know! I know, I can't believe I lost it! The last place I had it I think was at Vic's party but I can't remember what happened then, it could be anywhere."

"You still have a lock on it don't you?" He asked and I shook my head.

"No, you kept forgetting the codes so I just took it off," I mumbled and Justin slapped the back of my head. "Ow!"

"I can't believe you lost it!"

"How do you think I feel!?" I whined going to my locker, Justin following behind me, scolding me all the while.

He continued giving me shit for it up until third hour when the daily announcements came on the intercom.

"And now, we have a special request from Vic Fuentes," the girl who usually made announcements, Adrienne, said in a chipper voice and I perked up.

"Dude, it's probably for dance or something." Justin muttered and I shrugged, just wanting to hear Vic talk.

"Hi everyone, so this is a uh, this is a weird request but, at my Halloween bash the other night someone left their iPod at my house. Now, on this iPod is a bunch of what I'm assuming are poems or song lyrics. Amazing work actually and my dad agreed when I showed them to him. The reason I'm making this announcement though is because, to the owner of this iPod, if you can come to me and finish of some of the lyrics I'm about to read, you have a chance of getting a record deal with Rise Records," Vic said and my eyes widened as Justin looked at me, his own eyes wide.

"Oh my god," he whispered as the classroom filled with everyone's quiet whispers.

"Now this is from one of the notes on the iPod, they go Out of the skies I shaped the silence. And from the earth I carved these walls. A piece of the world was only mine. And then I said I wanted more... If you can tell me the next stanza, not only will you get your iPod back, you'll also be getting a record deal. The time is ticking my mystery dancer and I can't wait to find you," He said before the announcements ended and I smiled a little to myself.

"At the edge of the blackness. When you're stretched to the core. Catch hold of the madness," I whispered quietly to Justin. The room erupted in chatter as everyone started talking about not only what Vic said, but about the "mystery dancer" that Vic was talking about.

"Kellin! This is huge! Holy shit you need to tell him that you're the one!" Justin exclaimed quietly and I shook my head. "Seriously? This could be your chance, it doesn't even have to do with you getting to be with him. This could be your chance to get a record deal and we could be on our way! You'd be rich and famous and I'd be your badass manager!"

"I can't Just, I can barely talk to Vic without looking like an idiot. Besides he'd be-"

"Disappointed to see that the one he danced with was Lynn's stepsister."

"Exactly, so we're going to keep this quiet."

"Well, what if I go finish the lines then?" Justin retorted and I glared at him. "Kellin just try! That's all I'm asking, don't throw away an amazing chance to get your dreams fulfilled because you're scared that he'd be upset. If he doesn't like that it's you then it's his loss, you're still going to be the one to get a record deal!"

I gave Justin an annoyed look, "You're not going to drop this are you?"

"Nope."

"Fine, tomorrow I will go up to Vic and finish off the lyrics."

"Thank you," he said and kissed my cheek. "That is all I ask of you."

I rolled my eyes and slumped down in my seat as our AP English Lit teacher started rambling about Beowulf.

God, I was absolutely terrified of telling Vic it was me. But, if I didn't, I could possibly lose my only chance at getting a record deal and I didn't want that either.

I had to do this, I had to tell Vic I was his mystery dancer.