Whatever Else I Do

Things were quiet. Why was no one making noise? Where was Dementia? Why wasn't she stalking Black Hat like normal, or playing dolls with 5.0.5, or terrorizing Flug?

Dementia was in the backyard, six feet under the ground at the foot of a dead tree. She was encased in a cryogenic tank, preserving her remains for as long as the dry ice kept her that way. A small gathering of flowers laid on top of her resting place; 5.0.5 refreshed them every day. She couldn't cause the trouble that Black Hat Inc missed so much.

It took a toll on everyone, and it had been a little over three weeks since the day Dementia was killed.

Black Hat had taken to searching for C, night and day. He called his best assassins to the island to search, so far no luck. He put out ads in his Gazette with cash rewards. Many people brought in claims, but none of them were true. Black Hat ordered C to be brought in alive. He wanted to kill C himself. And worse, Black Hat had disconnected himself from 5.0.5 and Flug, not that they attempted to talk to him much either.

5.0.5 had entered a depression. To keep himself going, he cheered himself up as much as he could. He avoided her room, her things, her art. He couldn't handle it. He cleaned compulsively, and the manor had never sparkled so.

Flug seemed less stable than anyone in some ways. He did anything he could to avoid the subject of Dementia. Whenever she was brought up, he would coincidentally find something to distract himself from it. He busied himself with small tasks, looking over the search for C, helping 5.0.5 clean, digitizing files, etcetera.

Flug roamed the halls, the halls that were so empty. The scientist didn't seem to notice, walking a little faster with every step.

He hadn't seen or heard Black Hat in three days, and he was too worried. Flug knew his boss liked solitude, especially now, but this was too far. He had never been brave enough to confront his boss about anything directly, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Flug saw the door to his boss's office at the end of the hall.

He had no idea what he was going to say, or how he was even going to get Black Hat to listen. Still, he knocked. Once, twice, thrice.

All was silent, until the door was flung open. Black Hat looked particularly grumpy.

"What?" he growled at Flug.

"S-Sir, you haven't come o-out of your office in d-days! I just wanted to check on you..." Flug stuttered, obviously looking worried.

"I'm fine, but you're disturbing my work, now leave"

Flug started to nod, but then shook his head.

"No! You're not okay!" he shouted, making Black Hat raise an eyebrow.

"I don't know what to tell you, I'm fine"

"You're not t-taking care of yourself! When was the l-last time you even talked to me, or 5.0.5?"

"When do I ever talk to you anyways?"

"You used to at least leave your office. This isn't healthy, demon or not!"

"Why all of a sudden do you care about my well being so much?"

"I-I've always cared about your well being!"

There it was. The cat was out of the bag now.

What am I doing?

Black Hat blushed a little, not exactly sure what that was supposed to imply.

"What... do you mean?" he asked quietly.

Flug looked at his feet, feeling warmer by the second.