We are the Envy of the Gods Above

5.0.5 felt down. It wasn't unusual to feel dreary nowadays, but that didn't make him less sad. Dementia was still her old self, but when she was near the lab, she'd go quiet. She'd act almost... frightened. What had happened to her?

It was rare to even see Black Hat at all, though Flug seemed to get most of the demon's appearances. Black Hat 'checked in' on him often, and it brightened Flug's day, every time. While Flug was in a better mood, 5.0.5 and Dementia were still very melancholy.

They wandered the halls aimlessly, the mansion felt so big and empty now. They often looked for ways of gathering Black Hat's attention, 5.0.5 wasn't even too adverse to a mischievous scheme every now and then.

For now, they lied in wait. Earlier, Dementia had spray painted a lizard on the wall in the next hall. 5.0.5 wasn't there to see it, but she told him to be ready to run, as it was only a matter of time before-

"DEMENTIA"

5.0.5 flinched. There it was.

"Hey 5.0.5, feel like playing a game of tag with the boss-man?" Dementia said excitedly, and 5.0.5 nodded.

The lizard girl climbed on his back, and just as Black Hat stormed around the corner, they took off.

Black Hat was fast, but 5.0.5 was almost just as fast, so this match was even. Not to mention, Dementia was sitting on his back telling him exactly where to go. The duo darted through the maze-like corridors, Black Hat following close behind.

He was livid that those two had dared to defile his walls with the bright graffiti, but to Dementia and 5.0.5, it was the most fun they'd had in weeks, even if they had a large chance of death.

"Round that corner 5.0.5! Down the stairs!" Dementia shouted. 5.0.5 willingly obeyed, turning left and bolting for the stairs, but before hitting the first step, he hit a person standing right in front of him.

Before they could yelp, all three characters tumbled down the long staircase to the first floor below in the span of about five seconds. They landed in a groaning, painful pile.

5.0.5, wondering what he'd run into, looked underneath him. Dementia was there, looking dazed, but thrilled at the adrenaline. That was normal.

The other person was already out from under him, pulling their paper bag down over their face. 5.0.5 smiled brightly, happy to see Flug out the the lab. He scooped the little scientist up like a baby, squeezing him tightly.

"P-Please.... can't breathe... 5.0.5..." Flug gasped.

Dementia whipped her head around at the sound of the voice. It'd been so long since she'd heard it, it sounded almost entirely new, but at the same time, she was scared of what Flug would say to her. Was he still angry?

At that moment, Black Hat walked down the steps, a scary expression of anger on his face.

"Now," he said lowly. "Can either of you explain why your damn paint was on my-" he was interrupted by 5.0.5 practically shoving Flug in his face like a trophy. Black Hat stared Flug dead in the eyes.

"I see you're feeling better" he said.

Flug gulped, nodding.

"Y-Yeah, I just had a b-bad few weeks is all... e-everyone ha-has them... I'm back to normal now though" he stuttered.

Black Hat raised an eyebrow. It was normal but something was still... off. 5.0.5 didn't seem to notice, hugging Flug like he hadn't seen him in decades. Dementia watched from a few feet away.

She was happy that Flug was back to normal, but... she couldn't forget that one night. That look he'd given her... that wasn't just a 'bad week'. It looked so malicious... Too malicious...