My Efforts Have Torn Us Apart

5.0.5 whimpered at the door in front of him. His creator had been locked in his room for 10 hours. That's the longest he'd ever been out of his lab, and with no word of what he was doing. Something was wrong.

5.0.5 scratched at the door, worried. No response again. He whined, trying the knob another time. Locked.

Dementia watched the bear from her place in the rafters. She felt slight sympathy for him, they were both a bit confused.

Flug had been acting strange all week, he'd been even more quiet and timid than normal. 5.0.5 had tried to get him to talk when they were in the lab. He only got a, "Go away 5.0.5" or sometimes an, "I'm fine, just tired is all".

Not to mention him gazing off into the distance constantly, like he was seeing something no one else did. Flug had finished all his work early yesterday, and went to his room. He'd been there since.

Luckily, Black Hat didn't seem to have noticed Flug's temporary disappearance yet, and Dementia knew that if the boss was to remain ignorant to Flug's neglected work, he'd have to come out very soon.

5.0.5 suddenly became extra worried as he heard a faint laughing from behind the door. It was a high, unnatural laugh, almost a giggle.

This time, he knocked as hard as he could. Flug went silent. After a few seconds the door cracked open an inch. 5.0.5 whined, a few stray tears rolling down his blue fur.

Flug sighed, still not being able to see his precious creation so upset. The door opened wider, the scientist stepping out of his dark room. 5.0.5 gasped, hugging Flug tightly. He was just glad he was alright.

Dementia decided that the time was now to make her presence known. She ran across the ceiling, jumped to the floor, and joined the hug-fest. Now that she was closer, she could see Flug's state in full detail .He looked like a husk. He looked almost dead.

"FLUGGY! WHAT IS GOING ON WITH YOU?!" Dementia cried, shaking him roughly. Flug wormed out of her grasp, and casually patted her shoulder.

"Guys, I-I'm fine, really" he said in almost a whisper. Dementia resumed hugging him tightly.

When they released the little scientist, he yawned, stretching.

"I just need my morning coffee, and I'll be back to normal".

Flug walked away, but both Dementia and 5.0.5 were left with their concerns. The tone was wrong, his walk was wrong, and the very air he breathed was wrong. Flug was not okay.

-- Two Week Time Skip brought to you by Dementia's Toothed Hoodie--

The tension in the manor was growing. 5.0.5 and Dementia weren't sure if they could take it anymore. Black Hat had become increasingly stressed out, pacing throughout the mansion. His temper was increasingly fragile as well.

There was a murderous shadow roaming around Hat Island. They had taken five victims so far, identified by the moniker of "C", found carved or written near the body.

This sicko wasn't even kind of neat. Some of their victims' limbs were scattered around the area where they'd died. And they didn't just kill villains either. Others looked like they had taken a whole blood bath. C, whoever they were, was very passionate in their work. This unsettled Black Hat for many reasons.

First of all, some random person had chosen his home island of all places to begin a killing spree. Was this a venture to impress him, or try to intimidate him? Either way, they'd need to try harder, go farther.

Secondly, who could it be? His island was home only to villains and their hostages, so everyone had the potential to do something like this, but no motive. He wasn't concerned about it being a hero, no. One of the victims had been a hero, found bloodied and bruised, it was highly unlikely.