But the Fire Went Wild

Ebony was sitting with her ear buds in, writing in her notebook. Everyone was sleeping, but with her first assignment so close, she didn't want to stop until she was done. Even Dementia had called it a night on the coffee table in the living room.

Flug was probably still up, but Ebony got the weirdest feeling around him. When she had first moved in, he had avoided her like she was a biohazard. She always thought that he was glaring at her, but by the time she'd turned her head to look, he was looking at something else.

And then lately, he'd started hanging around her. He invited her into the lab to watch him test (which was usually very gory, and made her squeamish), he talked to her, he laughed, and had just been friendly in general. Ebony chalked it all up to him being socially awkward at first.

She bounced her head to the beat of "Queen of White Lies" by the Orion Experience. Such a good song to write to. Speaking of which, she was rapidly running out of things to write about. She shut her book happily. If she remembered anything more, she could always walk down and deliver the information.

All of a sudden she heard a knock, muffled by her music. She plucked one ear bud out, saying "Come in" as she did so. Flug peeked his head in through the door.

"H-Hi Ebony"

Ebony looked up.

"Hey Flug, what's up?"

"Well, I was wondering how your journal was coming" he said, his hands behind his back, "I knew you'd still be awake"

Ebony nodded, standing up and walking the book over to Flug.

"As a matter of fact, I just finished a minute ago!"

Flug smiled under his bag, "Oh, good! I'll get this typed up and submitted tomorrow morning"

Flug turned to exit, but stopped suddenly.

"O-oh wait, I meant to ask a favor!"

"Shoot, Flug Bug"

Flug cringed internally. He really did hate cute nicknames.

"I-I just have some boxes I need to take down to the basement to be incinerated. I only have two, but one is too heavy for me... I was wondering if you would help me with that one, I'd rather not ask the boss and... no one else is up..."

"Sure thing, I'll help you out"

"O-Ok, th-thanks a million, I've been putting this off for far too long"

He led her to his lab, which wasn't far from her room, and they chatted idly on the way. Ebony was greeted by the bright white walls of the lab, quickly seeing the boxes Flug was talking about, and the small scientist had already picked one up.

Ebony grabbed the bigger box next to the first, and it was indeed heavy, nothing she couldn't handle though. Flug then led her to the basement steps, using one hand to open the door and hold it.

The girl breathed in the musty scent of the basement as she descended the staircase. She'd always liked things like that.

"Where should I put this Flug Bug?"

"Just in the back, there's a bunch of boxes already stacked there"

Ebony, though it was very dark, spotted the spot he was talking about, next to the incinerator. She put her box gently next to one of the others, sighing at the relief of setting down the heavy weight.

"Hey Flug, what's in these anyway?"

The world was silent.

"Flug?" she called again, getting the same response. Nothing. Did he go upstairs without her?