Ch. 43 - You'll Be Happy

Start from the beginning

“But—”

“Goddammit, Jackie, if you won’t call him, I will,” she slammed a hand down on the couch.

Fine, I will,” I gave in, clutching my phone tighter in my hands. “Umm… I’ll be right back.” I stood up and began to walk upstairs to my room.

“Be quick,” she called out to me. “It’s still our girly movie night!”

“I will,” I repeated, suddenly feeling uneasy. As soon as I went to my room, I locked the door and that’s when I felt the butterflies in my stomach start to come in faster. I slowly sat down on my bed and went to my phone’s contacts, scrolling down to the J section until I found Justin’s name. I stared at the screen for god knows how long before my hand took a mind of its own and tapped his name, causing my phone to enter call mode. I pressed the device up to my ear and waited as it rang and rang, the tension inside my room increasing every second.

“Hello?” Justin’s voice made my heart jump and I panicked for a second.

I shouldn’t have called.

Yes, you should’ve.

No, I shouldn’t have. I don’t even know what to say.

Just speak! He’s waiting!

Hang up, hang up.

Don’t sound like a retard, answer him!

“Umm… Justin?” I asked, internally slapping myself. Of course it’s Justin, who else would it be? Santa?

“Jackie…” he breathed, and I felt the butterflies in my stomach. The way his voice sounds when he says my name… I just… I can’t deal with this.

“I’m sorry for calling out of the blue like this, but… But I just wanted to know if you’re-… I wanted to make sure you were-… If you’re…”

“I’m okay,” his voice was calm and soothing. “Thanks for asking.”

I forced a chuckle. “You’re welcome. And, umm, I also wanted to, uh… Apologize. I admit I’ve been avoiding contact with you since you sent me that text. I just—I didn’t know what to say. I didn’t even know if you meant it or if you even wanted to talk to me. You’re the one who left me, so it’d make sense if you didn’t want anything to do with me, or if you never wanted to hear from me again. If that’s the case… Then I’m sorry I even called.”

“Stop..” he whispered. “You know I’d always want to talk to you, but I understand. I just… I haven’t been able to forget you these past few days. I’m sorry I made you so upset when I left you. Honestly, I wish I hadn’t even left. But I think you cease to understand that I did it because I care about you.”

“All I ever wanted was to be with you,” my voice was shaking and I could feel my hand trembling. “You know that, right?”