The stupidest thing I could possibly think to do, I do. I run, run like I've never run before; out in the open but concealed with the darkness of night, I have almost escaped the premises when I hear a bullet whizz by my head, narrowly missing me. I look behind me, and see that snipers have assumed their positions on the roof, all aiming for me.

Digging my heels into the ground, I push myself to run harder as the bullets rain down. I can use my powers freely out here, so I use my enhanced hearing to listen for where the snipers are shooting. Aiming for my back. I jump out of the way. Aiming for my head. I do a front-flip as the bullet slices through the air, missing me.

For what seems like an eternity, the snipers and I play this hit-and-miss game until I have gotten out of the prison's sight. Running through town, I stop to catch my breath. If I don't keep moving, the police will flood the streets and find me. As I begin to run again, I bite back a scream as an arrow passes in front of my face, lodging itself in a statue of one of the twelve. Keep moving!

I am about to run again when I notice something tied to the shaft of the arrow. A note. Quickly prying it out of the statue and untying the string that holds the note, I unroll it and read.

You'll find us at the woods. Use your sense of touch to find us. Run as fast as you can, or they'll catch up with you. Be quick.

-Adam

I don't question his orders, so I make a beeline for the woods, make myself transparent, and use my feet to find them. I can feel the waves of motion being drawn to a source a long ways away, but I have no doubt that it's Adam.

When I make it to them, I am on the verge of collapsing from exhaustion. Before I can do so, however, I feel two people grab my arms and steady me. I look on my right, and then my left to see who it is. "Cassia? Susan?" I ask weakly. "Come on, let's get you settled down," says Susan.

They lead me over to a campfire that has been made, make me sit down, and allow me to catch my breath. When I've finally gotten myself together, I start asking questions. "What are you guys doing here?" "You didn't think we'd let you start a rebellion on your own, did you? We figured you could use some help," says Cassia. "Where's Adam?" I ask. "In there," Susan says, gesturing to a nearby tent. "He's been calling the shots for hours. He came and got us and a lot of other people. He made camp here, and right now he's going over actions he wants to take. You should probably talk to him," Susan adds. I nod, get up, and head for the tent.

"Alright, no more games. What's going on?" I ask Adam as I step inside. He turns around startled, but calms down when he sees that it's me. "What took you so long?" He asks. Anger rises up in me, I spit back, "Why don't you try breaking out of prison and dodging bullets from highly-trained snipers?" "Calm down, I'm only joking," he says. "Well I wasn't. Now, explain to me what's going on," I demand.

Adam turns and faces me, and he finally tells me the whole story. "I told you to go to the woods this afternoon because my loyalties were being tested. The rest of the Council had become suspicious of me, and I knew I would have to gain their trust back. So, I told you to go to the woods because they forced me to lead you into it. The Council had known for years that Peter snuck into the woods, but they never thought he'd cause trouble by doing so. But, when they watched the cameras and saw the two of you falling in love, they were infuriated. When the police came after the two of you, they wanted the both of you so you would pay harshly for your treason. However, when the police came back with only you, the Council was sent into a rage. They didn't know what to do for once, so they stuck you in prison and went looking for Peter. I knew it was my fault you ended up there, so I made sure the cell you ended up in was weak enough for you to escape. You found my note, made your way here, so now my plan is half complete. The next half: rescuing Peter," Adam finishes.

"That still doesn't tell me how the rebellion got started," I remind him. Adam, looking annoyed with all the talking I'm making him do, continues his story. "When you were knocked unconscious, the citizens saw you being carried out of the woods and through town. Seeing an injured teenager rendered helpless and unconscious is enough to make anybody snap, so a rally ensued. People demanded to know what had happened and what the Council was going to do. Instead of answering, the police opened fire on the citizens. Twenty-one people died, and the remaining became furious. They called up their families and an organized angry mob marched outside the Capitol building for hours, protesting about our government. People went and burned down the homes of the Council, my own included. Once that happened, the police took over the whole situation, publicly executing those who dared to defy the rules," Adam says.

I feel a knot start to form in my stomach, and the room starts to spin. "Adam...is my family safe?" I demand. There's a pause before he answers. "I checked up on them before I came here. They were all there, and I warned them of the dangers outside their home. I don't expect them to get involved, but Julia, no one is safe out there now. No one," he says.

I drop my gaze and stare at the floor. "This is all my fault. People are dead, and the rest are angry; it's all my fault," I say with guilt. I feel Adam put his hand on my shoulder and say, "It's all of our fault. But listen to me; we can turn this around. Honor those who have died already and fight back. Fight those who can't afford to take a risk. Be the voice of this society."

I lift my head back up and meet his eyes. "Well...what's the plan then?" I ask. Adam takes a deep breath, and that's how I know his plan will be intricate and long.

"Well, as you can see, I've dragged your friends and a bunch of people you've probably never met here in the middle of the woods in a makeshift camp. But the people you don't know, I happen to know they are some of the best of the best at their powers. Masters, every single one of them, as well as rebels. They've been waiting for a rebellion, so when I found them, they were more than willing to help out. One man is so skillful at his power of transparency that he has surrounded us all with an invisible force field, keeping us obscured and impossible to find for anyone after us. You'll meet the rest of them soon. But for now, I need you to be ready to pull an all-nighter, because I have to teach you a superior power so you can be ready for tomorrow," he says.

"What's tomorrow?" I ask. "They caught Peter, and they're going to execute him tomorrow morning at exactly 9:00. Guards, police, even the Council themselves will be there. I will teach you the power of control tonight, the second most difficult power to learn...behind dominance of course," he responds.

My head starts spinning with thoughts and questions. "Adam...I'm not ready to learn that yet. And if the Council is going to be there tomorrow, why aren't you with them?" I demand. "Well, let's just say that writing the words 'I quit' all over the lobby walls was my way if resigning," he answers with a smile. "And the powers do not have to be learned in a specific order; it's just recommended that you learn starting with the easiest and working your way up to the hardest," he adds.

"Well, how are we going to save Peter if the place will be heavily guarded?" I ask. "Here's how: he will be executed publicly, so you and I and the people we take with us will slip in with the crowd wearing disguises. Cassia, Susan, and the other people with non-fighting powers will remain here at camp waiting for us to return, and the people with the powers of control, agility, transparency, knowledge, and elements will come with us to save Peter. Now, two members of the Council have the power of insight, so becoming transparent will be useless, for they can still see you. Three members have the power of dreams, so they're not a threat. Five have the power of agility, but my colleagues that are here who currently posses that power outnumber them, so nothing to worry about there. There is one, however, that we all take a chance on being killed if we approach. This woman is by far the scariest and deadliest person I have ever encountered," he finishes.

"Does this scary, deadly woman have a name?" I push. "Henley Collins," he answers, shuddering as he says her name. "She is the head of the Council, using her power of control to rule with fear and tyranny. She feeds off of the weaknesses of others, trying to corrupt those who succumb to the faults of human nature. She is a monster," he adds.

"Well, I've never met her, so let me be the judge of that. Now, if we're going to have any hope of rescuing Peter tomorrow, I have to learn control now. Are you ready to teach?" I ask.

"The question is, are you ready to learn?" He responds.