Chapter 22

Logan felt the dart spinning through the dust-filled air before the rifle had even fired; the smell of its toxin, the sharpness of the needle tugging at his senses. He ducked instinctively, thrusting energy at the tiny projectile en-route to his face, deflecting it upwards into the wooden-panelled ceiling. It exploded against the surface with a gentle pop.

"Logan..." muttered Oscar, surprised and taken aback. Rhea's face emerged from behind him, investigating the sudden commotion. Her gentle eyes welled up with joy, and her face lit up.

"LOGAN!" she screamed, running over to him and hugging him tight. "I was so worried about you!" She planted a hard kiss on his lips before he had a chance to explain.

"Who are these?" asked Oscar, tilting his head at the strangers in the doorway.

When Logan turned, for just a fleeting moment, almost missed, he saw something that surprised him. There was jealousy in Blythe's eyes. "These are my friends," he answered, "without them I wouldn't have made it here." Acknowledging them with a thankful nod, Logan continued, raising an introductory hand. "Rhea, Oscar, this is Blythe, and her brother Raygar."

"Brother?" queried Oscar, noticing the difference in skin tone.

"Not biological." Blythe said with a smile.

Oscar raised an eyebrow, then returned his attention to Logan. "Why are you here Malikai? Thought we were finally rid of you."

"You're in danger," he answered. "It's a fuckin' trap."

"What?" Rhea shrieked, a look of confusion emerged on both hers and Oscar's face.

"What in Lunis' name are you talking about?" Oscar snapped. "Willard is outside watching, he'd let us know if it was a trap."

"He won't know." answered Blythe, matter-of-fact. "The soldiers are above him, probably waiting for you to show yourself--"

"Who the fuck are you?" Oscar interrupted, threatening her with an angry finger.

"Hey...that's enough," Logan took a step in front of Oscar, so they were face-to-face, blocking the bitter glare he was giving Blythe. Without warning, Oscar swung a clenched fist, catching Logan bang on the chin and knocking him sideways. His knees almost buckled from the impact. When he regained his balance he thrust out an angry palm, throbbing with pent up energy.

"Stop it!" Rhea screamed at the top of her lungs. Seconds later, the rear door burst from its frame, the enormous shape of Ezra exploded into the room. Logan gently dispersed his attack into the air.

"What the hell's going on here?!" he screamed, staring at foreign faces at the other end of the room.

"Logan thinks it's a trap." answered Rhea.

Ezra faced her. "What do you mean a trap?"

"Malik's Paladin Guard are circling this building with jet packs," Logan began. "Further up the road, and probably awaiting the order to strike, are six, armoured military trucks. If they're full, that's one hundred and twenty infantry troops you've got waiting for you."

Ezra looked back at Rhea with a scowl, then Oscar, whose body was shaking with rage. "Oz', get Symon in here, now!" Oscar nodded, and disappeared with his task. Ezra squeezed the fist-mic swinging from his black leather waist coat with a finger and thumb. "Willard...you receiving?"

'Yeah boss, what's up?'

"Carefully...take a look up, at the sky. What do you see?"

'What?'