Chapter 12

The birth of Axial, was something of an anti-climax for Laina. A beautiful boy with his father's dark eyes, and the fresh new light in her recently miserable life. She'd hoped his arrival would bring Quinton back to reality, but somehow it had made him even more determined to work. He spent more time than ever at his office with his head in a book, researching, testing, perfecting, than he ever did with his family at home. She began to worry that her marriage was finally coming to an end, and now there was a child involved.

The test subjects had been coming and going from Crow's office all week. She hadn't known why, until the day he came to her with a spring in his step. "My darling, I've done it!" he said, a huge smile plastered over his face.

"Done what?" she asked, attempting to fit a new nappy on a wriggly baby. She noticed how old Crow looked, his eyes tired and distant, and his frame was thinner.

"The final elixir," he answered. "I think I've finally perfected the Nidrahni cure for use on Eridanians."

She looked over at him through tired eyes, and wondered if he was still human enough to shed a tear.

"I've completely healed a dozen volunteers that were subject to a small dose of Nidrahni, and I've immunised a dozen more citizens of the village. None of them have suffered any of the previous side effects." He bobbed around like an excited kid.

She could see how proud he was of his latest achievement. Laina wrapped baby Axial in a woollen blanket and placed him in his crib, turning back to face her husband. "Congratulations, Quinton. Has there been any side effects at all?"

His mouth curled. "None, my love. It seems to be more efficient on the young, so I would like to continue the immunisation programme and protect our family, for when we return to Barlow."

His words drained the life from her body - she knew that he meant Axial, and she also knew that she had no way of changing his determined mind. She replied with the only threat she could, hoping that it would make him think twice.

"If you inject AnoniemX cells into our son, Quinton, then I want you to inject me as well." she stared into Quinton's unfaltering eyes, waiting to see if her pathetic threat would uncover any self-doubt he had with his elixir.

His reply was a big smile. "So be it, darling." He turned and left the room to prepare a second dose.

Laina felt numb, she was entirely trapped in the frozen village, and the only escape route was a fifteen minute buggy ride to Uscarix along the east coast. The port harboured only a few small fishing vessels, but most were full of cracks and holes - certainly nothing sea-worthy. She had no way out and had begun to fear not only for her own life, but for that of her son. She'd been stupid believing he might reconsider if she demanded the injection as well, calling Quinton's bluff had never worked, his ego had the power to make anything possible.

Crow returned with two long syringes, both filled with a green-blue liquid, he caught Laina's eye. "I'll immunise you first."

Tears began to fall from pleading eyes. "Quinton, what if it's not safe?"

He looked at her, slowly shaking his head and smiling. "Laina, my darling," There was absolutely no doubt in his mind to the quality of the cocktail he'd created. "The only possible outcome here, is that you and Axial will both be protected against a deadly disease."

"And what about those monsters in the area?" Laina questioned. She'd always wondered if they'd been a bi-product from early results of Crow's special elixir.

"There are no monsters," he replied. "And besides, this is a completely different combination from any experiment we've done in the past. It only really works to its maximum potential when given to the recipient at a young age."