Chapter 9

Part two: The history of power

Xander Malik traced a finger over the armour's smooth, algae-green breastplate. "So this is the prototype?"

Crow nodded. He was stood behind the President, observing as he marvelled at his latest creation. "Almost indestructible. Its composition is more than ninety-nine percent carbotanium fibres, the remainder is still somewhat exotic and unknown."

Xander swung around to face Crow. "And you're certain it'll fly?"

Crow smiled. "It's one of the lightest alloys I've ever come across...quite an exquisite find."

A terrifying smirk stretched over Xander's face. He spoke slowly, savouring his chosen word. "Excellent."

"You'll kit out the House Guard with these?"

Xander nodded. "My security Paladin's deserve something special," he walked over to Crow's desk, sliding the chair out from underneath. "Now...tell me where we stand with the anomaly."

Crow watched as the Ruler of Eridanus made himself comfortable at his battered desk, awaiting the only question he required answering. Crow shuffled solemnly to an adjacent desk, pushing an old framed photo to the side so he could perch on its edge. "Testing is...still ongoing, sir."

Xander's eyes closed, as if in pain. "I see..."

"Branston and his team should be returning to Barlow any minute now...they had a couple more failures to wipe out last night."

"Why hasn't the Cog been able to locate them?"

Crow sighed. "It's not possible, not until their genome is supercharged and the Eshiea'n remnant activated."

"You promised me results, Quintin." Xander stood, and paced over to Crow. "I've provided you with a lot of funding for your experiments over the years...I need to start seeing results," he halted at reaching Crow, leaning over the professor. "Do you understand?"

"Of course, sir...you have my word, I've noticed a change of behaviour in the Cog, I truly believe we're close."

"Good. I hope our mutual friendship can continue into the future. You've worked for me a long time Quintin," a pleasant memory swept over his face, threatening a thin smile. "I still remember where it all began..."

***

It was hot and stuffy in the chapel, Xander's father lay groomed in his open, cedar casket, dressed in his favourite blue suit. His face had the appearance of a wax model, with curled grey hair elegantly brushed sideways to cover his bald patch. At only sixty-five years of age, Arthur had the look of a man much older. Northerners had been left heart-broken at his untimely demise and understandably worried. Reservations were held as to whether or not the Heir would deliver on Xander's aid scheme for the poor.

The rotund priest read slowly through his prepared speech, sweating profusely as he presented a vastly distorted account of Arthur's life, applauding his religious views and beliefs. The congregation sang a hymn at the end of the sermon, before he gave blessings to the entire Malik family. Two unfriendly undertakers transferred the body; wheeling it to the crypt in Malik Tower, as family members and close friends came to pay respect to Xander in the castle.

"He was a great man, Xander." Edgar Clarren muttered sincerely.

Whatever.

"I only hope I can serve you as well as I did your father." Mrs Goatham was the tea lady, she was way past her prime.

Charm me all you want old hag. But when this day is over, I'll be releasing you.

"Your Grandfather built the new generation reactors in Barlow," Thomas Rucroft said with a face full of pride. "And your Father built the Maglink train network. Your family has a proud presidential history Xander, I hope you can bring them more honour." His bald, speckled head bobbed up and down as he spoke, giving the appearance that his head was too heavy for his weak shoulders.