Chapter 2

Logan waited nervously at a grubby, old table. An intrusive news pop-up opened like a book, interrupting the show being projected on the wall with an update. Shocked at the display, his eyes clung to the screen as a video displayed bloody carnage from the aftermath of a recent battle; the Wall Island invasion. Bodies lay burnt, buildings torn from the ground; foundations burst from walls. The sky was saturated in smoke and dust, twisting and twirling like wraiths. In the distance, a raging inferno devoured homes and shops. "For the once-peaceful residents of Wall Island..." he croaked. "Armageddon has arrived. I'm Cristopher Janson, over to the studio."

"Reports from the field suggest that an agreement couldn't be made by the opposing factions," Karhtina Snowe reported from her studio comforts. "We've all heard rumours that President Malik needed the island to expand his empire into the Southern Territories, and it appears the order to strike was given without hesitation. Malikan Infantry was mobilised with units of Marshal Third Class, and were dispatched simultaneously at strategic locations." Karhtina shuffled through her notes on the gigantic sofa. "The assault began six days ago, as the Malikan navy began an artillery barrage at key points, destroying command posts, and hit the Capital of Naupactus. Two warships were sunk before crews had even deployed." Karhtina appeared to shake her head in disgust.

"It seems that two Malikan battleships did take some minor damage before sinking the last defending ship, but their fleet was largely unperturbed." Karhtina rotated her body to face her motionless guest. "Commander, I understand you're unable to disclose the reasons behind the invasion, but could you explain to our viewers how you were able to breach a steely Wall Island defence so easily."

Commander Hilt barely moved, his mocking smile shining over a craggy and mottled face. "It was simple. After six days and nights of bombardment, we pulled our Third Class division out. As the Wall Islanders rejoiced in short-lived celebration; believing the Malikan Army were withdrawing, three of our bravest First Class were dropped behind enemy lines by an Alphawing. Your previous video footage showed the end of the story."

"So these First Class fighters...they slaughtered over three hundred townsfolk? Before destroying the entire army, is...is that correct?" Karhtina was clearly shaken.

"The City of Naupactus and everyone in it, was killed," Hilt agreed nonchalantly, "that part is true. But Marshal First Class weren't responsible for their deaths. Wall Island's defence strategy of bombing their own streets; an attempt to hit Malikan soldiers as they pushed through, was the reason civilians were unfortunately caught in the cross-fire. The Malikan Army had no such orders to murder innocent bystanders."

Logan shook his head, barely able to watch. But he wasn't sure which emotion was the strongest - horror at what he'd just witnessed, or admiration for three marshals who had taken out an entire army. The youngest of the First Class was Samiel, he had been acknowledged as the conqueror of Wall Island - defeating Commander Chan with a sword. The Malikan Army seemed invincible with Samiel at the helm, and he was also the main reason Logan wanted to join their ranks. Logan wanted the love, fame, fear and admiration that Samiel received. His power demanded the utmost of respect.

If anything, the news report reaffirmed Logan's infatuation with joining the marshal ranks, with the possibility of fighting alongside his hero. Samiel was unrivalled; people even claimed that the others in First Class couldn't get close to him in combat. He was graceful like a water dancer, and deadly as a scorpion. He was regarded as a god.

The display on the canteen wall ceased its priority coverage, and returned to a prior program, allowing Logan to return to reality - and a moment to remember why he was here. His body trembled, nervous hands shaking in rhythm. Jax would probably be here any second. He took a deep breath to calm...

"Are you...Logan?

The deepness of his voice made Logan jump. "Yes...nice to meet you..." Great...his first impression is that I'm a stuttering fool.

Jax grinned. "Please, call me Jax," he shook Logan's quivering hand. "It's good to meet you, Logan. Now..." he lowered himself gently onto a creaky seat. "...what can I do to help?"

Jax's powerful presence emanated through a canteen full of lowlifes and drunkards. Everyone appeared smaller in comparison - including Logan. "I...wondered," he paused to control his nerves. "I wondered if you'd be able to help me join..."

He gently raised Logan's chin with two fingers. "Lift your head up, kid. Speak freely, I'm not gonna bite. Join what?"

Even his fingers felt powerful. It was a chance for Logan to glance at the marshal, his deep emerald eyes peered proudly from a handsome face. His body was muscular, but not with the bulk of a landana, and his blonde hair was short and neat. "I want to join the Marshals."

The Second Class tunic was crimson red, with shoulders sporting wide epaulets. A thin, black-stitched sash ran diagonally across Jax's chest. His boots squeaked as he leant over, propping his pole weapon against the wall. Logan observed the elegant writing along its curved shaft, like an ancient text long forgotten.

"Don't worry..." The marshal grinned. "I shouldn't need to use it in here...I see the worry in your eyes."

"Oh, I'm sorry...I didn't mean to...stare."

"Axial only comes out when justice is required. She's no danger - just here to maintain peace in the community."

"Axial?"

Jax nodded. "Her name is Axial. She may strike like a spear, but she's as agile as a knife."

"Why did you give it a name?"

"You should always name your weapon, Logan," he replied. "It will give your blade life, a soul, a beating heart. Otherwise...why would it protect you?" he shrugged, encouraging an answer. Just a lump of metal otherwise, and besides, a weapon without a name is unlucky."

Logan nodded. "Does 'Axial' have a meaning?"

"'Axial' was the first marshal to make First Class." Jax smiled proudly. "I guess you could say...he is my hero."

"Oh...yes, of course." Great Lunis Logan...you should know the history of the Marshals...

"There was a time..." Jax began, "when the names of serving marshals was never revealed. These warriors were shrouded in secrecy. But now...with the rise of Samiel's status, it seems that it no longer matters." Jax smiled, noticing the glint in Logan's eye. "Perhaps you and I both share something in common?"

Realising that Jax was referring to Samiel, Logan's face changed colour. "Yeah...I guess you could say he's my...hero. I'd love to fight alongside him..." he chewed his lip, embarrassed at his inadequacy. "But, I've failed the exam three times."

Jax understood Logan's predicament. Scraping his chair back underneath the table, he stood. "You're very honest, Logan, I like that. I'll see what I can do to help, maybe have a word with one of my superiors...see if I can pull a favour." He thrust out a strong hand in parting, and Logan rose from his chair, shaking it gratefully.

"Thank you, Jax. I didn't have any hope left."

"No trouble, Logan. I can't promise anything but remember this, if you do get into the ranks, name your weapons. Axial and my sword; Harmony, always have my back. Your weapon will be your best friend, and an extension of your body. Care for them, and they'll care for you." He swept up Axial from her rest, placing her against his chest in salute. He nodded at Logan, and turned to leave. Patrons parted as he strolled through the grimy establishment, his thin cape flowing gently behind.

Logan remained still at the table, transfixed. He wondered if this could really work. Surely he's not gonna help a bumbling idiot like me... He put his head in his hands as doubt began to plague his mind. "Ahh, what a fool I am, I'll never hear from him again."

After a while, Logan broke from his reverie, uncertain if his thoughts had lasted a minute or an hour. He quickly stood, suddenly aware of where he was meant to be, and bolted for the door. Dad's gonna kill me...