Chapter 1

The cobbles on Dustbrother Avenue were twisted and warped, more than any road in Rastaban. Logan cursed as he caught the toe of his boot on a jagged edge, breathing a deep sigh of relief, having almost dropped the large tray of freshly baked goods.

That was close... Logan's destination was in sight, and he carefully paced the remainder of his journey to the great oaken doors of the Orphanage of Lunis. He climbed the uneven steps leaning his body against the stone building, his platter balanced on a forearm, and rattled the brass knocker with his free hand. He ran nervous fingers through his short, black hair and stood back, listening as the approaching footsteps grew louder. He observed a crescent moon plaque; the sign of the Moon God Lunis.

A door bolt scraped open, then another, and one of the hefty doors swung open with a groan. Logan smiled when he saw her; he hoped she'd be visiting today.

"Hey, Logan." Rhea exclaimed cheerfully, reaching out to assist him with his cumbersome load. "Wow, let's get this inside."

"Thanks, Rhea." he smiled, as she took the weight of one side. He allowed her to lead, being careful not to catch his clumsy boot again, and gently lowered the platter onto a waiting table.

"The kids are gonna love this!"

Logan couldn't help himself; stealing a sneaky peak at his childhood friend as she bent over to sniff the sweet cinnamon rolls. Her red-tinged hair was tied back in a long braid, dangling down to her buttocks. She opened her hazel eyes. 

"You've not been here for a while." he stated, delighted the door wasn't opened by the older lady with a hairy chin.

"No, I'm still working in North Barlow," she faced Logan. "I spend most of my time there...sometimes wish I didn't."

"I bet these guys miss you...when you're away."

"Yeah...these monsters will be glad I'm gone - they get away with murder when it's just Hilda!"

Logan chuckled. "I don't know how you control so many kids."

Rhea cocked her head at him, smiling. "Do you want to come and meet them?"

Logan took a step backwards, "I'm not sure I've...got the time..." he looked at his watch, his rolled-up sleeve caked in doughy clumps.

"Come on," she dragged Logan by the hand, "It'll be fun."

I think fun is the last thing it'll be. They passed the foot of a wide, darkwood staircase with steps curved elegantly in a clockwise direction. The cream wall was covered with wonderful depictions of Lunis the Moon God. Some were paintings of a solitary figure, others great battles against his nemesis - Nauritus.

As they approached a door at the end of the corridor, the wild sound of children grew louder - and scarier. High-pitched shrieks and screams caused the hairs on Logan's neck to stand. He winced as Rhea grasped the door knob, ready to send him into carnage.

"Ready?" she winked, forcing the door away from her and thrusting Logan into the danger zone. The old living room was filled with brightly coloured slides and ball pits, plastic tables and soft toys. An abundance of cars and dolls, missing arms and wheels lay haphazard over the floor. The ambience in the room diminished momentarily, as the toddlers observed their intruder. A grubby boy with a snotty nose was first to react, screaming till he was red in the face with excitement; a call for all little folk to attack.

"Oh crap..." Logan backed up, but his retreat was scuppered by Rhea. The kids charged, waddling unsteadily into him with heads and shoulders, yanking his arms in different directions. Jagged nails and bony fingers scrabbled at his skin, tearing at his baggy sleeves and pulled his braces. He heard one kid laughing as he twanged the elastic against his chest, and felt the same fingers wriggling in an attempt to do it again. Logan was hustled into the ball pit where he finally dropped to his knees. The kids piled on top, screaming and shouting. A sweaty foot landed on Logan's nose, another stomped on his hand. This assault, he realised, was the kids having fun.