Chapter 23

Chapter 23 // Too Good to be True?

Jasmine's p.o.v.

     I sat in disbelief on my couch after what had just happened. For starters, Carter apologized for being a major dickhead to me when school started and was completely honest. I apologized back to him, because I was in the wrong too for acting the way I did, which he thought was cute, and then that lead him to stating that he liked me. I said it back though...
Finally, that mind blowing kiss had occurred again and it felt way too natural. Everything flowed perfectly.
Like it was "meant to be" type of natural. Oh my don't get corny now.

Carter looked at me with a little smirk across his face. "What are you smirking about?" I questioned.
"I've been wanting to do that since I last kissed ya."
I let out a little laugh and couldn't help myself from smiling.

"I gotta get going though and pick up my little sister. Things at home are a little hectic right now" he put his hand over mine, "I'll text you though. I'm really glad I got all of that off of my chest."

"Oh okay" we both stood, "Me too." I walked him to the door and gave him a hug. He smelled so good. I never really had the chance to ever inhale his smell.
"See ya." I said.
"See ya later Jasmine."

He turned and walked out the door. I watched him walk off and as soon as he got in his car I shut the door. I let out a little shriek. Carter and I really just kissed, again! What does that even
mean?

I contemplated on telling Nicole but it felt right to wait until I knew what was going on myself. I wanted this joy all to myself, because for once I was beginning to feel happy for myself. I had taken a weight off my shoulders.

I walked upstairs and plopped onto my bed smiling because I felt sane.

Across the hall Music was blaring and of course it was Derrick playing some loud trap music. I put in my headphones and turned my music up to Daniel Caesar to feel whole. Of course that only lasted a few.

Within a few minutes I saw blue and red lights faintly through the window and got up to look. The cops were walking up to our front door. Uh oh.

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

I walked down the hall to my parents room which was luckily open and found my dad watching tv. "Uh dad, the cops are at the door." I raised my brow and he let out a loud growl.

He looked at me and raised his eyebrows as well. He quickly got up, and went downstairs to open the door. I followed curiously. "Hello sir" the cop said to my dad, "we're looking for Derrick Johnson."

"For what?"
"For armed robbery."

I couldn't believe it. Armed robbery? Really?! I didn't feel any emotion after the cop said that. Everything went blank inside of me.

"Jasmine go get your brother please" my dad put his head down and let the cops in. I looked at him in shock and made my way up the stairs. My dad was angry and disappointed and it was written all over. Why the hell is Derrick involved in armed robbery? What the heck happened to him! I kept thinking that on replay.

I hesitated to knock on his door but lifted my fist to do so as loud as I could. The music lowered and I heard, "come in!"

I opened the door to him playing a video game and I started to feel bad. I remember the days we used to get along so easily, so happily, and I missed them. I missed my brother. "Uh you're needed downstairs." I gulped.

"Man what the fuck do anybody want man?" He paused, tossed his hat off, and walked past me harshly. I closed my eyes and let out a deep breath and followed.

Derrick walked down the stairs and I stopped halfway. I saw him pause in his tracks and let out a big sigh. "Derrick Johnson we've got you in our records for armed robbery and need to take you in for questioning." The cop said bluntly.

"I don't fuck with pigs." Was all Derrick said as my dad and I witnessed him being handcuffed and taken out of our home. I didn't know what to think and I knew this wasn't good at all. I would have never in a million years guessed my brother would turn out the way he did ... ever.

....

Later that night after my mom found out what happened and cried and screamed around the house about how she messed up, I took a long bath, put on a face mask, and had a deep discussion on the phone with Nicole. Then my phone rang. I rolled over in bed to look at  it and it was Carter. As much as I wanted to answer I left it face up to ring. I did not want to seem toxic to him ... I mean he seemed like he had everything figured out, nice family, and well my life had a ton of little cracks in it covered up with bandages. The final ring buzzed and I felt kind of bad for not answering but I was an emotional mess. I knew I would push him away and I wasn't eager to do that.

*ding-ding*

Carter: I tried calling you, but it's getting late and I bet you're sleep. See ya tomorrow

I shook my head planting it face first into my pillow and groaned loudly.

***

Carter

Getting everything I said to Jasmine off my chest felt really amazing. I was so insecure to the fact that she could outdo me, and geez she is gorgeous, I felt threatened. As terrible as it sounds, that was the truth, but I grew a bond with her and I wanted to take it further. There's something special about her.

I drove to pick up Sophie from her friends house and she was in such a great mood I couldn't take her home right away. I was afraid to see her face when our dad doesn't come home tonight around his usual time and she gets confused ... so I took her for some ice cream.

"-Ice cream?!" Sophie squealed "what's the ice cream for Car?"
"I just wanna get ice cream with my little sister is that too much to ask?"
She raised her eyebrow and zipped her mouth shut with her fingers making me chuckle a little.

We got our ice cream:
"What could I get for you two?" The server asked.
"We'll both get double scoops of fudge chocolate" I stated, "a cup for both of u-"
"Oh with extra sprinkles on mine please!" Sophie exclaimed brightening her eyes.
The lady smiled at us, I paid, and we grabbed spoons and headed to a table.

"Is this because you're trying to make me feel better about something?"
"Sophia just eat the ice cream" I pleaded "Just enjoy it please."
She raised her little brow again and shrugged her shoulders okay.

I let out a long sigh and began to eat my chocolate ice cream as well.
"Do you know what mommy and daddy are making for dinner tonight?" Sophie continued to babble on.

"Um no.. I don't."
"Well can we hurry home because I have an idea I learned in cooking with my teacher today. I wanna surprise everyone for desert!"

"Idk soph-"
"-it'll be fun!"

She dropped her spoon into her cup indicating she was done when I had barely even started.

"Here you can have mine, let's take it." I traded cups and took hers to the trash can.

She followed me out to the car and together we made our way home, little did Sophie know what was she was about to step into and experience would be her first heartbreak and break her little-big heart.

Hey y'all! I know I'm terrible at updating, & this is a short chapter, but I've got so much emotion ready to pour out into the chapters to come so I'm very excited for all of that! My life has slowed down a little bit, 2nd semester of senior year is a breeze, and I'm getting my "writers touch" back to me 😭 & letting go of my "mood" towards everything I was in for so long. Thank you for everyone who has been reading, commenting, etc; it's been so motivating and exciting. Stay tuned for more and more updates. I'm learning to get into the habit of doing weekly updates so I'm looking forward to that really soon 💕

Thank you loves ! 🤞🏽♥️