Chapter 4.

Chapter 4 // Smart remarks and Girl Talks.

It was late at night and Nicole and I had been on the phone since about nine o'clock.

"So how did today with Carter go?" I sensed her voice enlightening because any topic about boys made her mood rise.

"Eh. A ton of racial profiling comes with his package. Why would she partner me with him out of all people; she could've put me with Urkel!" I tried to vent to Nicole but she was doing something loud in the background. She could actually listen for once, besides she's always complaining to me about her and Simon, her soon to be novio - her boyfriend. He's always getting on her nerves or they always get in tiny arguments and she runs to me thinking it's Jasmine to the Rescue! I gotta love her though I guess.

"What you mean?" She actually listened.

"He always has something to say like he's the 'Black Doctor' talking about 'oh black women are proven to have a temper' and it's annoying." I sighed into the phone.

"Well he is a white boy who's never even dealt with a black girl ever. I don't think it's intentional Jas, I think he's just trying to make convo or sound cool to you but doesn't know how." Nicole spoke and I listened to her. She might be right for once in her life.

"Maybe. I know he's nervous around me. He fidgets 24/7." I laughed.

Nicole laughed too. "You can be intimidating chica. Plus you're not his type of girl."

"Type of girl? How do you know his type?"

"Well he's like Superman to our school and all of the teachers. He's in all honors, 4.0 gpa, varsity lacrosse and basketball team, and he does community service. Oh and he's currently crushing on Samantha Baker. Honestly, I don't even think he's looked at a black girl for more than five seconds."

"I guess. Well he sure does have to work with one. 'And What the heck. How does he do all of that and not fail. I struggle playing soccer and studying." I whined. I was actually amazed by how busy yet academic he was - 'wait what? Don't look up to him!  I snapped out of my thoughts quickly.

"Ooooooo! Maybe you could ask him for some help girl." Nicole's voice got deep as if she was telling a secret.

"Mhm. Whatever Nic. See you tomorrow. Love you." I said.
"Love you too Jas." She replied, and then the phone clicked telling me she hung up.

****

The next morning in homeroom Carter walked in and sat next to me with a goofy smirk on his face. "Hey meany."

"Excuse me?" I looked at him with one eyebrow raised.
"Chill. I was joking. Good morning Jasmine, aka my partner who doesn't want me to know anything about her." Carter put out his hands doing jazz hands and I shook my head.

"You're right." I slapped my hands on my thighs and leaned back in my chair. I looked him up and down when he turned the other way.Today he's wearing black joggers, a white adidas t-shirt, and white and black superstars. Another nice outfit.

"Good thing I don't have to see you for the next two days." I smiled at him placing my hands behind my head.

"You know, I was thinking the same exact thing." He chuckled and leaned back in his chair mocking the same position I was in. I rolled my eyes at all of his smart ole comments.