Part 31: Come Together

"I think this is a bad idea, we shouldn't leave my dad alone with them he's an idiot" I say as Harry holds my hand and we begin to walk out of his family home in Cheshire. Harry, my dad, Frankie, and I are sleeping over at their house to spend time with Harry's family. It's rare to have both our families together but I know how important it is. So far my dad has been behaving but I don't know if that'll continue when me and my judgmental stare is out of view.

"I knew you would think that and that's why I told my mum before we left" he says to reassure me.

"You told your mom? What exactly did you say? Hey mom, Ari's father is kinda insane and ready to fight at any moment for no reason" I joke.

"No" he chuckles. "I told them that your dad is a bit angry with me- and he had every right to be- so, he might get upset with them but, it isn't because they did anything, it's just misplaced anger" he says.

"And they're okay with that? They didn't want to kick my dad out for maybe hating you?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"I think they were worried but I told them not to be. They have no right to kick him out, he's entitled to feel angry at me" he shrugs. I can't believe how sweet he is. No one, including myself accept the way my dad is treating Harry except for him. It would be so easy for him to just whine and complain, he has everyone's backing, but he doesn't. He doesn't ask me to fix it, he doesn't fight back, he doesn't fight with me over my dad's behaviour, he just accepts his own faults.

"So why are we going for a walk?" I ask, since I'm curious and don't really have anything else to say about the whole 'Dad vs Harry' topic at the moment.

"I just kinda wanted to clear my head, and I like having you with me" he says. I'm so glad he wants to spend time with me even when he's not feeling that good but I try to not to focus on that. Harry is clearly not in a good mood, I want to be there for him and he clearly needs me right now.

"Is this about my dad?" I ask, it's the only thing that makes sense but, I need him to admit it. I get nothing, he's completely silent. We both know I know the answer, why won't he just say it? I stop walking which pulls Harry back as well as he stops and looks at me. He still doesn't say anything. "Harry? It's not a big deal, I just care that you're being honest." I can tell he stills doesn't want to say anything. I tried dropping the honesty bomb, it works on me, I just think I was way too subtle. "Did he say something to you?" I ask. I know that's why he's feeling uneven, I might as well move on and get actual information before he figures out some dumb lie to tell me.

"Nothing that he hasn't said before, in front of you" he admits. I hate that Harry has to hear that, especially when I'm not there to intervene, he respects my dad and I know if I'm not around he would just let my dad completely walk all over him.

"It's not true, any of it. He's just dramatic and trying to insert himself. Why are you letting him get to you? I told you it doesn't matter" I argue.

"Because it does matter Ari. He's your father, one of the few members of your family that you're close with, one of the few that genuinely knows you. I want to make sure he accepts me, it's important, and you know that. Plus he has the right to be upset with me, he shouldn't be the only one. Frankie, even you, I deserve to be given shit. I'm worried that instead of proving myself to your dad he's gonna prove his point to you" he rebuttals.

"I was mad at you, we don't acknowledge it, I thought it was obvious. I broke up with you, I ignored you, I hated you. But you're not the only one who's in the wrong here. You have the right to hate me too" I admit. I've hurt Harry just like he's hurt me.

"Hate you? Ari I have no reason to hate you! You've never signed a secret contract, you never jetted off on a yacht with your ex while we were broken up!" He yells back. Harry has done some horrible stuff in the past but I've forgiven him, I love him and, I know him and his heart.