Chapter 23: Brother's Keeper

With one hand firmly clutching the steering wheel and the other toying with his dashboard cradled smart phone, Christian brought up his contacts. He scrolled down the list then stopped, his thumb hovering over the name "Jace" to which he breathed a deep sigh. He furrowed his brows, his gaze darting from the screen to the road then back again.

Why was he hesitating? If there was anyone on this earth who would understand his current predicament, it was him. After all, he'd been there for him before and he was bound to be again. That's what family was for.

He pressed his thumb to the screen then returned his hand to the wheel, a succession of long low trills filling his silver Porsche 911. There was a pause and then...

"Hey buddy." Jason's voice surrounded him. "I haven't heard from you in a while. I was just about to send out a search party." 

His heart gave a hard squeeze and he scowled, a massive lump forming in his throat. Talk about a low blow. All sarcasm and heartbreak aside, sending out a search party for Amy wasn't such a bad idea right now.

"Christian? Hey – are you there, brother?"

He blinked, swallowed and drew in a breath. "I'm here. Forgive me, brother. I'm a little distracted at the moment."

"Oh yeah? What's up? Are you...you're not in the middle of a scene, are you?"

you're not in the middle of a scene, are you?"

He sighed softly. "No, I am not. In light of recent events, there is a more urgent matter that currently requires my attention. And yours."

A beat of silence passed between them.

"Uh oh." Jason exuded a sigh of his own. "Okay buddy, what happened?"

He swallowed, his heart giving another squeeze, a fresh set of tears forming behind his eyes. "Amy's been kidnapped."

Another beat.

"What?" Jason said. "Amy...you mean Eric's Amy?" 

His grip tightened on the wheel, heart pounding, blood boiling. Grinding his teeth, he pressed the toe of his boot harder to the gas pedal, the engine responding with a powerful roar as it lunged forward. "If you're still proclaiming that she belongs to him, then you've been out of the loop for far, far too long, brother. The two of them parted ways about a week ago when the son of a bitch walked in on us at the hospital." 

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! Wait – slow down one damn minute. One thing at a time, okay? They broke up?"

He rolled his eyes and emitted a sharp exhale. "That's what I said."  

"He walked in on you two doing..." Jason paused, letting out an unmistakable snicker. "Well I can imagine what you were doing, but what the hell was he doing there? He never goes straight to the hospital to see you. Unless..."