I narrowed my eyes. "Just like you wanted."

He tilted his head.

"You never approved of my vegetarian lifestyle," I added, angrily. "You tried pushing meat onto me - and now, I'm craving it." 

"I stopped forcing you to eat meat, remember?" Roarke retorted, frowning. "I was generous. I allowed you to choose what you wanted to eat as long as you ate something. I compromised for your health." He gestured towards the meat in his hand, impatiently. "This will satisfy you. This is what your body needs."

My upper lip curled up in frustration. "No, I'm not eating that."

"Then, you'll find yourself hungry every hour," he said, shaking his head. "The wolf coming forward will continue to fight you for it."

Grabbing my bowl of pasta, I stepped away from him. "I'll continue to fight back." 

Roarke growled in irritation as I headed back to the bedroom, devouring the pasta. I heard him ranting to Maurice in the kitchen, but I didn't bother staying posted near the door to listen. I didn't care that much.

From there, I quickly realized that Roarke was telling the truth. I was hungry every hour. I repetitively made trips to the kitchen. I devoured whatever I could find, mostly junk food or fresh pastries from Maurice. Roarke just watched me in silence with a permanent impatient frown on his face.

He wanted me to cave. He wanted me to eat what my body was craving. I was determined to fight this wolf's appetite for as long as I could. 

A few days later, I was back in the kitchen, searching the cabinets for food. There was absolutely nothing to eat. Maurice rushed out the kitchen, not meeting my gaze. I rummaged through the refrigerator, seeing only a few pieces of rotten fruit and milk - and meat. 

Roarke leaned back against the counter, folding his arms across his chest. There was a smug expression on his face.

I slowly faced him. "You planned this."

"I told Maurice to hold off on the food," Roarke told me, casually. I gave him an angry look, which caused him to straighten. "There is plenty of meat in there - "

"I can't believe you," I interrupted, harshly. "Why can't you just accept my decisions?"

"Because, by denying your body what it wants, you're fighting your transition," he replied, his eyes narrowing. "You need to listen to your body. If you don't, this transition will kill you - which I know you want, but I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen."

I scowled. "You can try all you want to make sure that I survive. I don't think your efforts will win against my fight."

"Listen here, little one," Roarke growled, towering over me. "There will be a point where your wolf will be strong and wise enough to understand hierarchy." My eyebrows knitted together in confusion at his words. "Your wolf will take orders from her Alpha, which is me. So, if I command you to live, she will try her hardest to make sure you two live."

Concern washed over me. "How's that possible?"

"Your wolf is there, inside you, before your first transition," he explained, flatly. "She can be strong. She can be wise. She is growing within you. Her survival, your survival, depends on your human body, on you. If you can take her coming forward, if you can withstand the transition."

There was a knot in my stomach. "You make it sound like there is somebody else inside of me."

"In a way, there is," Roarke said, tilting his head. "And, once she is strong enough, she will take orders from me."